Talk

Advanced search

16 week old - can I stop night feeds if breast-feeding?

(6 Posts)
Scarlett77 Fri 05-Apr-13 09:35:28

Hello all,
I am breast-feeding my DS, now 16 weeks, apart from a 10pm dream feed when he has a bottle of EBM. Breast-feeding has really not been a joy for either of us this time (I also have a 3 year old daughter) as he's had problems with a tongue tie which have led to issues with reflux and colic. He's had drugs and it seems to be improving but the feeds are generally fussy and I think we are both relieved when they are over! In spite of difficulties, he's put on weight well and has gone from 9th to 25th centile so I'm not worried about that.
However, he's still feeding at around 3am every night but I'm not convinced he needs this anymore and would really like to stop and see if we can eventually get him sleeping from 10 to 6ish (ah... the dream!)
My question is have any of you managed this when not giving any formula? Most of my friends who have stopped night feeds do give either exclusively formula or a mix and I'm not sure whether it's worth giving it a go or just persevering for the next couple of months until he starts solids...
I'd really appreciate any advice!
Thanks. x

yellowhousewithareddoor Fri 05-Apr-13 09:39:28

We didn't cut night feeds until 10months. I think if you do you might be better off replacing with formula for just that feed.

Did you get the tie snipped? It made a huge difference to us.

Well done for persevering to 4 months :-)

MirandaWest Fri 05-Apr-13 09:40:03

I'd say that at 16 weeks if he wakes he needs feeding. It is possible for a bf baby to not need feeding during the night (DS was like that) but it is quite unusual

yellowhousewithareddoor Fri 05-Apr-13 09:49:29

I think at that stage we bf quite a bit. Slept 7-11 then feeds roughly02-3 hourly!

Offcolour Fri 05-Apr-13 10:06:04

16 weeks is notorious for bad sleep. Sounds like your 16 week old is actually sleeping pretty well eyes ds who is waking every 3 hours for feeds when he used to go 8 hours. If he appears hungry when he wakes, he probably is hungry. I didn't realise with my first that sleep doesn't just keep improving from birth, it tends to take a big step back from 4-6 months. You could introduce formula and it might help, I know people who did that and it did improve sleep, but you can't really expect them to sleep through this early in my opinion.

KatAndKit Fri 05-Apr-13 21:49:40

No he is probably still hungry at that age, it is highly unlikely he will go all night already. Sorry, it is hard but there is nothing to stop you have someone else give him a bottle of ebm or formula a couple of nights a week so you can catch up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now