Talk

Advanced search

Habits of a 1 year old

(5 Posts)
Middlesexmummy Thu 04-Apr-13 14:52:31

Hi
I'm new to this so a bit nervous posting .... Have been reading the sleep forum religiously and felt ready to join..... My daughter has just turned 1 and waking up at night I'm really lucky as she tends to nod off quite quickly but then she will wake at 815pm and 2am etc ..... Over the last 2 months she has practically stopped eating proper meals and will only have porridge , weetabix , yoghurt , cheese , toast ( if I'm lucky) and she adores malt loaf. I'm wondering if this is connected to her waking up, has anyone encountered this
Her routine is something like this
5-6am stirs and has 2-4 oz milk
715 awake
8am : half porridge
That's when it all goes to pot in terms of eating ( will only pick at lunch at tea at nursery but eat her trusty weetabix and yoghurt before bed) is eating well in the day connected to good sleeping habits?

MoonlightandRoses Fri 05-Apr-13 00:01:36

Not necessarily, although it can help. Most of the foods you mention are quite filling though and milk definitely helps with sleep so she's probably not waking hungry. Or are you thinking the digesting those foods is causing the issue? If so then gradually move the last snack earlier, and make it smaller until she's down to just milk or water before bed. It may also help to gradually make her current bed time a little later (by about ten minutes every few days) so she's more likely to sleep through.

They do go through faddy eating phases quite regularly though. I'm assuming you're leaving other things on her plate for her to try too?
We sometimes play the 'swap you for some of mama's/papa's' during those phases, which can help break out of it.

Middlesexmummy Fri 05-Apr-13 15:33:59

Hi , thanks for your reply. I tend to give her food around 515, bath at 645 bed by 715 with a bottle ... She woke at 815 then 1130 last night
I do try put other things in her plate but she just chucks it on the floor .I feel she sleeps even worse if I put her down later .

MoonlightandRoses Fri 05-Apr-13 15:42:05

Ah, it may just be that that's her current sleeping pattern at the moment in which case, sorry.

Hopefully someone else will be along shortly with a few more suggestions as you're fairly much doing everything I did to resolve the issue (it did resolve, but took a couple of months to get there - we now usually only have one waking, and that's only for as long as it takes to find the soother and give it back)

feekerry Fri 05-Apr-13 20:55:59

my dd sleep pattern is v v similar at the moment. hard as it is i think it is just a phase.... seems to change every few weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now