Talk

Advanced search

How to lose the dummy??

(6 Posts)
CarlyRose80 Wed 03-Apr-13 07:25:48

I had been having trouble with my 17 week old waking at 5.30 and being wide awake. Tried all sorts to change the time, and against much advice I opted for putting him to bed later. So last night went down at 9. Slept till 1.30 and I fed him, so all good, but from then until 5 ish he woke constantly, I just piped dummy in and then from about 5 he slept till 6.45 YAY. I don't know why he woke that many times between 2 and 5 but I think he's becoming reliant on his dummy, has anyone withdrawn it from baby at such a young age and how do you encourage then to settle again without it? He goes to bed without it and after his night feed without it but wakes for it??
Apart from that I think last night was ok, hopefully not a one off!

MortifiedAdams Wed 03-Apr-13 07:35:24

Tbh I wouldnt take it away at this age. There is the possibility he needs more.milk though when he wakes and os satisfied by the dummy instead. Any chance of treating the 5am as a night waking and feeding in the dark before trying to resettle?

Also, sadly, some babies just wake that time for the day.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Wed 03-Apr-13 07:42:02

If it's working why take it away? Deal with that later. Little babies need comfort whatever it my be. Dummies to split opinion, but for now I'd leave be.

DanniiH Wed 03-Apr-13 09:23:41

We took our ds's dummy away at Christmas, he was 3 in feb so he was old enough to understand and to be rewarded (by santa) for giving it up. Honestly I think it's just upsetting to remove it from a really young child because they don't understand and some kids just feel they really need it. My ds was very reliant upon it, you could give him one at bed time and and he'd just relax like magic ready to sleep. You chose to use it so might as well go with it now. x

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Wed 03-Apr-13 09:30:51

He's only little let him have the dummy. Some babies are sucky babies and its either feed them constantly ( dd1 used me as a dummy big time) or let them have a dummy.

There's going to be alot of changes in sleep patterns feeding patterns weaning er over never few months. A dummy can remain a great comfort throughout all the developments smile

CarlyRose80 Wed 03-Apr-13 21:14:27

Thanks guys. Think I will stick with the dummy. I do t mind getting up to him if that's all I need to do, he doesn't really make a fuss either just moans out for it then settles straight back. It's just he doesn't Hold onto it for long and soon cries out again, but that's the worst of it so I shall stop my pathetic moan. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now