Talk

Advanced search

15mo DS has stopped sleeping!

(6 Posts)
EasilyBored Tue 02-Apr-13 20:08:03

I'm dying. DS is 15 months old and has slept through from about 8 months without any real encouragement from us. Every night we do bed time routine of bath, milk, cuddles and bed. Recently he's needed more and more cuddling to get to sleep, but still been sleeping through. For the past two weeks he's started throwing hysterical screaming fits at some point during the bedtime routine, not always at the same time, he just seems to suddenly snap and just meltdown. We've brought bedtime forward by half an hour as he did seem to be getting really really tired and having tantrums/screaming fits more in the evening. This hasn't really helped. He now throws a screaming fit, snot running down his face, thrashing around while you're trying to get his PJs on or give him his bottle. He will eventually calm down if we cuddle him and stroke his face, but you then have to hold him until he's totally asleep otherwise as soon as his head hits the mattress he is hysterical again. He's also, for the past two weeks or so, been waking up in the night completely hysterical and screams like he's being murdered if you try and put him back down. So he's been in bed with us, which is hellish because he fidgets and wriggles and headbutts and we're not getting any sleep.

I am at the end of my tether; he went down tonight after a massive screaming fit, and woke up 40 minutes later. He is completely hysterical and DH is upstairs holding him as he screams.

I have no idea what is going on! He used to be such a good sleeper! I'm so frustrated, DH keeps asking me what's wrong with him and I don't have a fucking clue! Help!

Iggly Tue 02-Apr-13 20:45:34

Is he ill? Teething? What happens when you talk to him and tell him it's bedtime and time to sleep. Does he have a short routine?
my dd (16 months) gets very angry when she's tired so we keep it short and sweet, straight upstairs. She has a routine of saying good night to her bear and rabbit (a quick cuddle and wave) which she loves - she knows it's bedtime then.

EasilyBored Tue 02-Apr-13 21:41:20

Don't think it's teeth, doesn't seem ill. He screams if I pick him up but screams in his cot. Tried to just sit in the room with him but he was furious and screaming because I wasn't picking him up. I have no idea what to do, he's been screaming (angry rather than upset iyswim) since seven. Regardless of anything we do. I've given him some ibuprofen in case he's given himself a headache. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Iggly Tue 02-Apr-13 21:48:47

What happens when you talk to him? Sounds silly but dd and ds responded better if I spoke normally to them. Odd'

EasilyBored Tue 02-Apr-13 21:54:54

He just thrashes around, I tried telling him a story but he just screamed. Gah! He's usually such a good sleeper. He's comedown a bit now and is lying in his cot whinging. I hate to think he thinks we won't come get him, but it just seems to make it worse.

Iggly Tue 02-Apr-13 21:58:28

With dd I just say its time to sleep, and go. We get 2 mins of grumbles then she settles. If she cries I try again.

There is a developmental leap at around 15/16 months - maybe he's in the middle of that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now