Talk

Advanced search

If you have a child over 4 months old please come and talk to me

(11 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Tue 02-Apr-13 10:19:34

Been hearing A LOT about 4 month regression and 9 months regression- did this happen with your babies?
Does it happen to all babies my mum says it didn't happen with me or my siblings but other mums I know now have said its terrible their babies are up every couple of hours and its lasting for a while! Already worried and my dd is only 9 weeks

Cakethrow Tue 02-Apr-13 10:27:29

Don't worry about it!
DD didn't have any regressions because she was a rubbish sleeper for the whole first 2 years of her life, then it clicked and she sleeps for England now (she's 4).
DS1 had a small regression but it was noticeable because he was a good sleeper.
DS2 is 10 weeks old so I'll find out soon. He's a great sleeper (6pm-7am) so it'll be very noticeable.

What I did find was, every time they learned a new skill their sleep suffered. So, rolling, crawling, sitting up etc. it'll pass in a blur though. Even DD's years of sleeplessness seems like an age ago! smile

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 02-Apr-13 10:34:10

Dd sleeps really well too think we've been spoilt so far- I honestly thought that once the first few weeks were done babies sleep settled down- I'm so clueless!

NotSoNervous Tue 02-Apr-13 10:36:02

My DD has never been a great sleeper so I never noticed much at 4m but when we got to 5m everything went down hill hmm

EMS23 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:36:09

DD1 actually started sleeping through at 4 months ish. So no noticeable regressions.

DD2 has always been rubbish but I think she did get marginally worse at around 4 months. Now nearly 7 months old and still waking every hour most nights.

Try not to worry, sleep quality with kids changes week to week in the early months. Ups and downs.

MandragoraWurzelstock Tue 02-Apr-13 10:38:14

One thing you can be sure of with babies is that they change all the blimming time, and as soon as you get used to what they are doing, they blimming well change again! smile

Roll with it, have no expectations of sleep and you will be fine. There are no rules or timetables and it's all really random. (mother of 9yo, 5yo and 13 week old!)

MandragoraWurzelstock Tue 02-Apr-13 10:40:02

In fact this time, and last time as well really, there was never any thought of 'this is what's meant to happen' or anything - or any panic when they started to cry or sleep less or more or whatever.

The overriding thing is 'Oh this is a baby, it's what babies do'. You will be Ok. Just try and relax and enjoy it x

ClairesTravellingCircus Tue 02-Apr-13 10:47:02

Well, when I had dd1&2 there was no talk of sleep regressions and they did not have themsmile

Dd3&ds1 have never reached anything to regress from! sad

teacher123 Tue 02-Apr-13 12:49:55

DS (now 11mo) had TERRIBLE sleep at 4mo, but that coincided with all of us having the norovirus and then going on holiday to France for a week, so completely out of routine, and recovering from being ill. That was the hardest bit so far for us sleep-wise. He then got better and by probably 7mo was sleeping through once or twice a week, and this gradually improved (apart from illness, teething etc) As a PP said, everytime they learn a new thing then sleep goes crap for a while. At 9mo DS would flip over in the cot, and then cry until I turned him over. Once he learnt how to get comfy again, that improved.

CarlyRose80 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:16:58

Hi my LO is 4 months old now and although he fights sleeping in the day time (I think he's to nosey) he still sleeps fine at night so I'm hoping this sleep regression is nonsense. He does wake still for a feed and the odd time for his dummy back which is quite annoying but life is better with it.

Offcolour Wed 03-Apr-13 15:00:11

Dd had a terrible sleep regression from 4-6 months and ds (16 weeks) seems to be hitting it too, although he's a better sleeper generally and is in better habits so I'm hoping it won't be as awful as dd's. I think lots of babies go through it, but not all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now