Talk

Advanced search

Will changing bed time help?

(4 Posts)
CarlyRose80 Mon 01-Apr-13 09:21:54

Ok, baby has been in a pretty good routine for a while. Bed for 8, sometimes earlier, wakes once or twice and has a feed around 4 and then is pretty much up for the day at 5.30. I can cope with it but I'm wondering if I changed bed time to later would he sleep longer in the morning? Even just by and hour and a half, so if I put him to bed around 9 would he stay in bed till 6.30? I know it's not as simple as that but in theory should it work? Does anyone else put baby to bed a bit later? He is 17 weeks. X

BuzzzzSaidTheBee Mon 01-Apr-13 19:01:55

I don't know - in the past when we've put DS to bed later, he'd still wake up at the same time, unless he's extra tired. You could always try and change it gradually, by 10 mins each day or something.

omama Mon 01-Apr-13 22:15:38

How much is he sleeping in the day & when? We also found that a later bedtime just meant he got less sleep as he still woke at the same time. So i'd probably suggest gradually shifting bedtime earlier.

Other things to consider: are the lighter mornings/ birds waking him? (blackout blinds may help), is he kicking off covers & getting cold? (try a sleeping bag instead). Having his first nap of the day too early can also lead to early morning waking, as can being overtired, so might be worth posting your routine.

Finally remember most babies will be waking hungry at that time of morning & as they've already had so much sleep it can be a struggle to resettle them. It is a phase that will pass.

In the mean time If he's happy to lay in his cot i'd leave him to it, treating it like a night waking, or get yourself to bed nice & early so its not such a killer. It doesnt last forever i promise!!!x

CarlyRose80 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:22:17

Hi thanks.
His room is black and he has a sleeping bag so I can rule them out. He normally wakes and has a feed around 3/4am so at 5 he's not hungry jut wide awake lol. I've tried leaving him as he doesn't cry but he talks so much I have to take him downstairs as my daughter (8) and hubby would be woken and she has school.
I do think he goes to sleep to soon after he wakes within an hour normally.
Feed routine is 4oz every 3 hours, but sleep is as and when, 1.5 hours sleep normally an hour after wake up. Then anything from 30 mins to an hour the rest of day but he fights it and wil be awake for up to 3 hours with out a nap. Normally crashes out around 5 for a nap and he is impossible to wake him from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now