Talk

Advanced search

Do you wake a newborn when they do a poo?

(16 Posts)
Cheeka Mon 01-Apr-13 03:22:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sweetiepie1979 Mon 01-Apr-13 03:54:37

Well I did but I only had one baby. You decide mummy whatever you decide is the right thing to do.

AdoraBell Mon 01-Apr-13 04:06:40

My twins would sometimes sleep through a nappy change. I didn't actively wake them up, just changed the nappy and laid them back down with fingers crossed

Congrats on your twinsthanks

AdoraBell Mon 01-Apr-13 04:11:01

Could you change the nappy after they feed instead? I'm sure I always did mine after the feed and I remember reading that they should poo after a feed, to make space for the fresh milk, IYSWIM

FreeButtonBee Mon 01-Apr-13 04:12:32

Congratulations!

I have 7 week old twins - it gets easier!

No, I don't wake a sleeping baby to change a poo - st least not at night and not if they have just fallen asleep. As the get older, you'll be able to tell if changing them will mean that they sleep for longer overall in which case it becomes painful but ultimately useful! I would change if they have a sore bum or if it sounded like a particularly big poo as sometimes you are just storing up trouble for yourself.

Good luck

Cheeka Mon 01-Apr-13 04:40:16

FreeButtonBee Mon 01-Apr-13 05:34:35

Have you got a twin feeding pillow? I find it makes a massive difference -I have the my Brest Friend one. It's v useful when they are so small and floppy.

Mine have bith slept for 5 hours tonight - first waking at 4 from before 11 - DTS actually slept til 5! And this is the third night so hoping its not a total fluke. So there is hope!

Cheeka Mon 01-Apr-13 11:07:58

spottyparrot Mon 01-Apr-13 11:11:12

I didn't wake mine. Newborn poo isn't gross like toddler poo, I never had a problem with soreness at that age.

Cheeka Mon 01-Apr-13 11:18:08

nalubeadsgirl Mon 01-Apr-13 11:23:00

Oh gosh, I did, and I would. Not nice to lie in poo at any age.

You'll get quicker with nappy changes to the point where the baby won't even notice you've changed it wink

Oh, and the nights will get easier! They all do that (crying, whingeing, grumpy etc) whether they're pooing or not!

By 7 weeks my DD was sleeping midnight til 6am. Bliss. Now at 5 months she's 7pm til 6am. grin

At 2 weeks, she was awake PERMANENTLY! (well, that's what it felt like!) It will get easier. Congrats and enjoy those newborn snuggles.

FreeButtonBee Mon 01-Apr-13 12:22:43

Use rolled up Muslins under their heads and also under your boobs If they are big to help getbthe right angle - that really helps too with the floppy head thing!

I know - the transfer is hellish with two. I find I have to de latch them then let them lie for a while then DTD likes a little interim visit to my shoulder and then can be put down. Also haverhem wrapped up while lying on the pillow so that when you transfer they dont lose all your body heat. I find a big fat down pillow beside me also acts as a good place to pop one baby while moving the other. Always move the 'easy' baby first! The constant pooing does ease off and is less traumatic when they are awake!

FreeButtonBee Mon 01-Apr-13 12:26:29

Oh and try infacol for your DD. it's really helped my DTD - you need to use it before every feed religiously but I found it massively reduces her discomfort. It's suitable from birth and not expensive so worth a try. Also wind part way through each feed - I am v lazy about this but it's partic good esp if it's after a long sleep when you are more engorged and the milk comes faster and stronger. Much fewer screaming plank incidents since we started it.

Cheeka Mon 01-Apr-13 12:50:36

FreeButtonBee Mon 01-Apr-13 16:45:22

Yes, I think it does have a cumulative effect but if its not helped after a week in tamdem with winding 3-4 times per feed, then perhaps a trip to the doctor might be in order.

Nicknamefail Mon 01-Apr-13 19:22:02

No. For the first 3 months my dd pooed constantly, and if roused, that was it, she was up. I left her until she woke naturally (but she wasn't a long mapper, half an hour usually) and her bum was never sore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now