Talk

Advanced search

How do you fit a school run into a baby's routine?

(7 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 27-Mar-13 14:02:01

My DS3 is four months old and is starting to nap reliably between noonish and about 2 p.m. Unfortunately DS2 finishes school at 2 p.m. so every day poor DS3 gets woken up and bundled into the pushchair or car seat mid-nap for the school run. He also has to wait until we get back for a feed by which time he's starving.

Can anyone suggest a way round this? I hate having to wake up a sleeping baby and it means I'm trying to juggle feeding the baby with helping DS2 with his homework.

MortifiedAdams Wed 27-Mar-13 14:06:07

Could you put him.down for a nap.in the pushchair, so he is just needing wheeling out?

Or, does he sleep while out, in which case Id feed and put down, head out for a walk / lunch out / shops and pick ds up.on the way home?

Homework wise, could ds do ot a little later? Your 4mo - does he only have one nap a day?

StuntNun Wed 27-Mar-13 14:37:00

I haven't tried putting him to sleep in the pushchair, that's a great suggestion as it would be easier to get him to fall asleep in it. I'll give that a try thanks. He naps in the morning and late afternoon as well but not for as long, from 10 to 45 minutes. I really want him to get a good long sleep in the middle of the day in the hope it will help his nighttime sleep where he is still waking three or four times a night.

gazzalw Wed 27-Mar-13 14:43:41

Just to flag up that although it's a very good idea in theory, DW used to do this with DD when she was little. Sadly as soon as DW wheeled the buggy outside DD would wake up and start crying! That was even with the buggy raincover over to protect from the wildest elements. I guess it depends on how sensitive your DS is...hmm.

Perhaps you need to roll forward or back the nap so that you don't have this stress? You could probably achieve over Easter hols by just time of putting DS3 down by ten minutes a day or even every other day?

Good luck - it's very stressful having to get up and out to collect school DCs with a baby...

StuntNun Wed 27-Mar-13 14:53:23

I usually have the opposite problem, as soon as he's wheeled back into the house he wakes up! I'm currently in sleep dep hell though so I need to do something to help DS3 sleep better during the day. We didn't have the school run today and he's been asleep for three hours now!

Startail Wed 27-Mar-13 15:00:33

DD2 never napped, pre school ended at 11.45.
Having big sister home was fun, so chance she's go down afterwards.

Doesn't seem to matter, although I missed the peace I got with DD1

CarlyRose80 Wed 27-Mar-13 15:23:28

It's a nightmare for me as baby naps in cot and is always ready for sleeping or is already asleep when school runs due, tried timing them to fit in but he's so irregular with his naps it never happens so he ends up being disturbed and over tired eventually:-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now