Talk

Advanced search

how to stop 10 month old co sleeping and feeding all night?

(7 Posts)
princessj29 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:26:52

With my eldest I co slept and breastfed til she self weaned from breastfeeding at 3 and she then went into her own bed and room just fine. I had planned to do the same with this DD but she is latched on literally all night which means I don't get an evening (which I need to study) and do get an uncomfortable nights sleep. I tried getting away last night but woke her 5 times and she wakes easily if I move in the night too so this isn't working for her - she's falling asleep on the school run despite having had 12 hours in bed. I feed her to sleep and try and escape without waking her which takes well over an hour. She then usually wakes 10-30 mins later and wants to be fed back to sleep, anything else leads to utter hysteria. If I put her down to sleep when sleepy but awake she screams the house down. I've never left her to cry (and really don't want to) but feel she'll hate a change in routine and just scream for me - was once stuck in slow moving traffic on motorway and she had nothing physically wrong but screamed solidly for 90 mins :-( I have my elder DD to consider which is partly why I've co slept but it's impractical in that aspect too as she's been ill this week and every time I got up with her I woke the baby. Baby isn't remotely interested in solids and think the feeding all night could be why. Any advice on changing things would be extremely appreciated!

Pleasesleep Tue 26-Mar-13 22:51:10

Watching with interest as I came on to ask the same thing. I am totally exhausted with it all.

princessj29 Tue 26-Mar-13 23:00:15

Me too! In a way I feel lucky though as at least I'm not up pacing with a crying baby, I can settle her and keep her settled but only if I'm attached which isn't turning out to be practical for anyone.

Sheshelob Tue 26-Mar-13 23:08:39

Poor you!

Elizabeth Pantley No Cry Sleep Solution helped us. We never co-slepted but it helped break the feed-to-sleep cycle when he started comfort feeding every 30 mins at 6 months. It just helped us feel like we were doing something about it. I don't think it has any bearing on sleeping through the night - that happened when he was ready - but it did help buy us some longer periods of sleep, as well as teach is how to help him nap for longer.

Like you, I'm also very uncomfortable with leaving a baby to cry but there is a difference between moaning and crying. It has made a big difference since he turned 1, as he will quite often moan a bit then sleep ( just as he'll quite often chat to his teddy then drop off). I don't go charging in anymore, and that has made a difference. But it takes a few steps to get to that point.

Good luck!

Sheshelob Tue 26-Mar-13 23:09:55

Ha! Coslepted. Thanks, post-baby brain.

princessj29 Wed 27-Mar-13 10:04:37

Thanks, I'll take a look at that book. She never moans though, it's full blown screaming the house down like her world is ending if I put her down when she's tired! I don't even mind co-sleeping from the early hours, I just need a few hours at night. I just wish I could negotiate with her like I can my 5 year old smile

Pleasesleep Mon 29-Apr-13 22:28:42

How's it going princessj? Did you have any luck with the book? I've been thinking about buying it but I'm worried it will just be another book that tells you fairly similar common sense stuff...
Been up and down with him about a dozen times this eve. He did doze on and off til 7 this morning though (YIPEE!)
He's got a doctors appointment on Wednesday to check for allergies or a physical problem....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now