Talk

Advanced search

How much does your 9 month old nap?

(28 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Tue 26-Mar-13 14:45:39

Went to the GP today and she made me feel like I was completely wrong for letting DS nap twice a day and that he should definitely be on one nap a day by now. He naps fr 2.5 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon.

Just interested how that compares to others of a similar age?

lysteddy Tue 26-Mar-13 14:49:17

Hi

My nearly 9month old DD naps twice a day usually for about 33mins yes its that precise! I wish she would sleep for longer but i think she has quick power naps than shes up again.

pinkpiggy Tue 26-Mar-13 14:49:20

Your GP is being ridiculous! That sounds totally normal. Mine tended to only have one nap a day from about 15 months

SwivelHips Tue 26-Mar-13 14:59:27

DS nealry 10 months has 2 naps a day, both 45 mins on the button unless for some strange reason when i'm going out he'll go down for 1.5 hrs. Blimey he only went to 2 naps few months ago, not a chance I'm letting him go to one just yet shock

MoreSnowPlease Tue 26-Mar-13 19:31:45

Oh good, I thought it was a bit weird. Anyway I have taken her advice and tried at least shortening naps today to 2 half hour naps, quite drastic but I am looking for a solution to the hourly night wakings, so needs to be drastic!

sharond101 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:18:56

I would go for 45 minutes rather than half hours as an entire sleep cycle is 45 minutes so after only 30 minutes your DS will not be properly rested. My DS 10mo naps around 1hr in the morning and 45-90mins in the afternoon.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 27-Mar-13 10:20:54

I don't mean exactly 30 mins, just waiting for him to stir out of a deep sleep which I believe is the end of sleep cycle? It takes him between 30-40 mins usually.

Anyway, last night it didn't work too well, he was tired but still woke the same amount of times sad

MortifiedAdams Wed 27-Mar-13 10:26:39

Gosh DD is 15mo and still has two naps. The GP is BU.

JezzaJ9 Wed 27-Mar-13 18:28:30

My nearly 9mo has 2 naps one in the morning for about 45mins to an hour then one in the afternoon for anything from 1-2.5 hours. I thought he needed more every book I have read says at this age the need 3-4 hourssmile. Umm don't know anyone who's baby does that long mind you xx

blushingmare Wed 27-Mar-13 18:51:08

DD 9.5mo has 45mins-1hr in the morning and 1.5-2hrs in the afternoon.

Tweetinat Wed 27-Mar-13 18:54:30

At 9m DS was still napping twice a day - sometimes even 3 times depending on how early he'd got up! He was still having two naps a day till around 20/22m and only dropped to one when he went to a childminder as that fitted in with everyone's routine. He then had one big nap a day until around 33/34 months.

IShallCallYouSquishy Wed 27-Mar-13 18:56:09

At 9 months (and still at 10) my DD had 2 naps of around 90 minutes each. One at about 9:30, the other about 2:00

MoreSnowPlease Wed 27-Mar-13 19:04:45

I'm so angry at the gp, he has now had two days of two half our naps, he has been grumpy as hell, is rally tired and extremely hard to settle, it took me 9 months to get to the point that he would nap twice and get at least 3 hours a day and she has just shattered it and caused us even more problems, I'm now in tears because I've caused us both such sleep deprivation!

Tweetinat Thu 28-Mar-13 08:28:27

Ignore ignore ignore snow. Only you truly know whether your son needs the sleep he's getting. If he goes to sleep at night at time you're happy with and gets a good nights rest AND goes down easily for both his naps, then its no one else's business whether he has two or one nap. I mean really, how does that affect anyone confused I used to get this all the time but my DS needed his sleep and I just ignored. He dropped his naps when HE was ready - not before. Go back to how you were and enjoy the 'you' time while you can. I think I grieved for 2 months when he finally dropped all naps!

MoreSnowPlease Thu 28-Mar-13 09:17:16

Thanks tweet only thing is that he doesn't sleep at night!he wakes every hour at least. I know the gp was trying to help this but I was hoping for a medical check for the night wakings rather than some bad advice about parenting from her hmm

Fairylea Thu 28-Mar-13 09:24:31

Why is the gp commenting on naps anyway ? To what purpose?

My 9 month old has a nap at 7.30am for an hour after he's been up since 5 (yes, can't change it, tried many many times, his sister was the same) and a 2 hour nap at 12ish. He goes to bed at 6 and sleeps through.

MoreSnowPlease Thu 28-Mar-13 09:28:43

Because he wakes every hour at night...that was her solution keep him awake in the day basically, cut him down to one nap at most as that's what he "should" be on and should have been for a while apparently!

floozieinthejacuzzi Thu 28-Mar-13 10:07:56

My nearly 10mo DS wakes hourly/every one and half hours at night too. He just doesn't know how to get back to sleep after waking from a sleep cycle (wish he would hurry up and learn quick as I return to work in less then 2 months!). Cosleeping helps me get some kip but it's not ideal. Anyway, I came on to say that your GP is talking bollox. DS still has 2 naps per day. Older DD was about 14 or 15 month old, I think! (hazy memories) before she dropped to 1 nap. I really don't think that dropping to one nap now with my DS would help him sleep better at night. He always wakes after a sleep cycle (can set my watch by him!). That's just the way he is!

Fairylea Thu 28-Mar-13 10:48:14

It's more likely to be how many calories he's consuming during the day and other elements of the routine... 2 naps is absolutely fine. In fact my ds has had three for the past two days and still sleeping through, so I think as long as the total nap time is around 2-3.5 hours during the day spread out it shouldn't impact on night time.

What is your daytime routine like?

MoreSnowPlease Thu 28-Mar-13 11:13:50

Hes up at around 6.30am, gets ready and has breakfast with dad (porridge or toast)naps at around 8.30/9am for 2-2.5 hours, has another snack about a quarter of an apple worth. We go out somewhere (playgroup/park/friends etc..), has lunch around 12/1 (about a pouch of baby food worth) go somewhere else, naps at around 3pm for about 1 hour, plays while we make tea, has a few bites of our tea and then goes to bed around 7pm.

Throughout his he has breastfeeds on demand and probably averages about 4 a day, but very small ones, as he snacks rather than full feeds because of feeding problems. He then feeds all night...every hour sad

blushingmare Thu 28-Mar-13 13:38:28

I still think 2 naps are fine, but looking at your routine, could you try to swap it round so that he's having his longer nap later in the day. Say, allow him 45mins-1 hour as the first nap and then the longer 2 hour one after lunch from, for example, 1-3pm? I know when DD has a frequent waking night she always has a longer morning sleep and I usually let her do it as it's not every night. But if he's doing it every night maybe he's catching up on that sleep in the morning?

If he's waking every hour though, I'd have thought that self settling is more your problem? It's hard - I think you often just have to wait for them to grow up a bit more and learn how to do it. But you can try to encourage it by reducing the props he uses to fall to sleep - ie, feeding/rocking to sleep etc. (I have to say I say this entirely in theory, because I still do that with my 9mo! But I am starting to work a little on her daytime naps to see if we can reduce the rocking to sleep a bit to see if this helps)

Fairylea Thu 28-Mar-13 14:31:41

Could you up what you're feeding him during the day? Especially as you say he's feeding non stop during the night.

You say he only has a few bits of whatever you have for tea.. I'd aim to make this his largest meal of the day so you feed him up before bed.

I also agree with waking him after 45 mins ish in the morning and having his longer nap later.

I don't know if it helps but here is my ds routine...

5.30ish wake, 8oz bottle
6.45 porridge or one and a half weetabix and warm milk
7.15 nap for half an hour
9.45 8oz bottle, maybe share some of my toast when we get in from school run for older dd.
11.30-12 lunch - usually a pouch of Ellas or plum whatever for 7 month plus, and some finger food like some banana or organic corn puffs, a small yoghurt or fruit pot
1ish nap for 1.5 hours
2.30 8oz bottle
4.45ish dinner same as lunch (he eats a whole pouch each time or sometimes I do him an omelette or something).
Bath
5.45 8oz bottle and bed

MoreSnowPlease Thu 28-Mar-13 20:07:43

Thanks floozie it sounds like we are in the same boat, co-sleeping too but still the same, hope your LO starts letting you sleep soon!

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 28-Mar-13 20:10:27

Dd
14 months, still sleeps in morning and afternoon and bed at 6pm

MoreSnowPlease Thu 28-Mar-13 20:37:26

Posted too soon!

blushing he is definitely catching up on sleep in the morning like you say, but I worry that a longer nap in the afternoon will make him less tired at bedtime? He is able to self settle, he naps in his buggy and doesn't even need rocking anymore, radio 4 sends him off with no fuss, or watching the washing machine! Also this morning he had a 2 hour nap in bed, he kept stirring but didn't need me to feed him even though I fed him to sleep, so he does know how to self settle even in bed, he just chooses not to!

fairylea today I have tried your plan of feeding him up, he's had 2 bowls of porridge, quarter an apple, cereal bar, 2 baby biscuits, pasta veggie bake x2 portions. I have also been breast feeding as much as possible but I do have a low supply and he only gets small amounts, but he has had more than usual.

He had two 2 hour naps today and is just going of to sleep now. Will see how it goes! Thanks for all the tips smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now