Talk

Advanced search

Daytime sleeping for 3 month old...advice please

(7 Posts)
GreenElephants Mon 14-Jan-13 11:29:51

My 3 month old son happily sleeps through the night (he is bottle fed). He has random naps in the day which he just takes when he wants, they last anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour. I have read a few things recently saying I should be getting him into a nap routine. Has anyone had any experience of this or should I just let him sleep when he wants to?

Thank you

CookieMonster88 Mon 14-Jan-13 17:10:53

FWIW we are just going with the flow here, no routine at 12 weeks. I just react to sleepy signs during the day, normally 2/3 naps of 30mins or so and sleeping through the night.

GreenElephants Mon 14-Jan-13 18:08:00

That's good to hear, I'm worried that the amount he sleeps during the day will start to affect his nightime sleeping.

CookieMonster88 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:14:32

I do find that she sleeps better at night if she is well rested during the day, probably because she is calmer and therefore eats more at bedtime. But she is stubborn, if she isn't tired she simply won't sleep no matter how hard I try.

zoobaby Tue 15-Jan-13 21:57:04

I was the same... oh no the magical you-can't-spoil-them-before-3-months mark. What to do now then? Argh. Don't want to ruin my baby.

My LO is 4 months old now and I have really noticed a big change in him during the last couple of weeks. We're following an eat, play, sleep routine but his timing (totally decided by him) seems to be much more consistent now. He doesn't particularly like naps either, but he's learning that they're nice.

zoobaby Tue 15-Jan-13 22:08:43

Last month he was totally adhoc but over the last month he has evolved the following:
- Usually feeds 2.5-3 hours since end of last feed
- starts to get tired 1 hour after feed
- takes 20-30 min to settle in Moses basket in living room (not happy about this sleep malarky even though it's the exact same conditions since birth)
- passes out for 30-45-60 min
- wakes up hungry

Seriously thinking I need to get naps moved into the crib but the bedroom is so much colder that I don't have the heart to do it.

GreenElephants Wed 16-Jan-13 10:09:19

Thanks zoobaby, thats good to know. Hopefully he will find his routine by himself in a way then. I think I worry too much and maybe it is just best to follow him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: