Talk

Advanced search

Do doctors ever prescribe older toddlers and children something to help them sleep (short term)

(6 Posts)
fluffyanimal Fri 11-Jan-13 10:44:27

This really. I would love to know if I could get something to make DS2, aged 3, sleep all night to reset his sleep patterns. Whilst getting him to go to sleep at bed time is not an issue, keeping him asleep all night is.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Fri 11-Jan-13 11:04:43

Have you tried a small dose of anti-histamine? Might help. Otherwise yes they do but as a last resort usually.

fluffyanimal Fri 11-Jan-13 11:11:18

We do have piriton in the house but it didn't make any difference when he had chicken pox. Besides, I'm not too keen on giving over-the-counter medicines for purposes other than they were intended for.
Do you know what it is that doctors prescribe? Have your DC ever had it?

nananaps Fri 11-Jan-13 11:19:21

I seriously doubt that you could get a GP to give you anything.
I was desperate, as was 4 and at school when he 1st slept a night.
I got phenegan which made no difference at all!
I sobbed & sobbed.
I feel your pain sad

fluffyanimal Fri 11-Jan-13 11:30:11

nananaps that sounds awful. DS2 used to be a good sleeper but a bout of illnesses in the autumn totally disrupted his sleep patters. He is still full of energy but has these awful dark circles under his eyes, and he can be quite tantrummy (but then aren't a lot of 3 yos?). I'm sure it's just bad habits that make him wake up at night.

Northumberlandlass Fri 11-Jan-13 18:00:50

Yes. DS was around 18 months & ha always been a poor sleeper. Not falling asleep, he would settle himself but wake at 1am and then it would be impossible to get him back to sleep. We exhausted every avenue.

I went to see my HV one day (i was back at work DH worked shifts) And i just broke down.

She suggested that I could get something to help DS sleep, I think it was an antihistamine. I gave it to him when he woke at 1am, then did CC until he nodded off. It forced him back into sleeping habit.

Some friends were outraged that i was doing this, but we only had to give him it for 3 weeks & the problem was solved. He then started waking at 5.30-6 am but at least he slept through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now