13mo routine...what is yours doing?

(8 Posts)
Madallie Thu 10-Jan-13 20:32:01

DD's routine used to be:

6.30/7 - wake
10-11am - Nap (I woke after 1 hr)
2.00-3.00pm - Nap (I woke if not awake by 4pm
7.00pm - bed

(mostly sleeps through the night - for now!)

This started to go wonky when she started taking much longer to go down for 2nd nap and then longer to go down at bt.

I've always been careful to catch her before she is OT and because of this and because it is often advised that 1year old is young to go down to 1 nap, I resisted.

Then over Christmas, I decided to go for it. After a few days she started sleeping 12-13hours at night and having nap 12-2. The she got a cold etc and she wasn't sleeping well so was putting her down for 2 naps. Now I've tried to go back to 1 and she's fine but is only sleeping for about 1 hour. She is sleeping 11-12 hours at night though.

My question is, should I keep going with the 2 naps (even though she takes so long to settle) as she seems to get a little more sleep over the 24hours or stick to 1 nap. She still seems happy through the day.

What is your 13mo doing?

greenkat666 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:58:57

My 13mth old is almost exactly the same, though her nighttime sleep has been dreadful for the last 3 weeks. She started to drop the afternoon nap on her own, as I just couldn't get her to sleep. I still give her the option at 2 every day to have a nap, though often she refuses. If she does sleep in the afternoons, her bedtime is later; if she doesn't, she goes to sleep very easily. i did wonder if dropping the second nap was causing her to sleep badly, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation, so I am baffled there! Just hoping she will sort it out soon.

Iggly Fri 11-Jan-13 20:29:05

Mine wakes at 7am.

Naps at 9am for an hour

Naps at 1pm for 2 hours.

Asleep at 7pm. Wakes 1-2 times for a feed - but that's because she doesn't feed in the day and can't have dairy so I keep them.

Iggly Fri 11-Jan-13 20:30:21

I'd be giving them an earlier morning nap and they might go down better for lunch time.

There's a regression at 13 months which might be the issue.

RunnerHasbeen Fri 11-Jan-13 20:39:58

Mine sounds like yours. Left to her own devices she would have 2 naps with the first earlier in the day, but I drag her to activities and things that all seem to start 10 or 10.30 am. She is hungry by the end of it, so has lunch then a nap. I think she is fairly flexible by this age and seems fine, doesn't get really overtired or grumpy.

Usual day:
woken up by us at 8am
nap 1 o'clock-ish for two hours
bed at 7.30

or

woken up by us at 8am
nap at 10.30 for 1.5 hours
nap at 3.30 for about 40 minutes
bed around 8pm

ceeveebee Fri 11-Jan-13 20:46:39

My twins are 14mo and they sometimes have one nap, sonetines two. So I think they're almost ready to drop a nap

On weekdays we wake them at 630am
Nap 930-11 or 1130
Nap 230-330/4
Bed by 7

On weekends we don't wake them and then usually they wake about 730/8
Nap 11-1
Bed by 7 or sometimes a bit later

moojie Fri 11-Jan-13 20:46:45

I don't have a 1 yr old (yet! Ds2 is nearly there!) but with ds1 our transition to 1 nap took a few months. He would sometimes have a morning nap and sometimes not it really depended on what we had been doing etc.

At nursery he would only have 1 nap as he was so busy so the following day he would have 2 at home.

Even now at 3.7 he will have a good afternoon nap some days and be running round like a loony all day the other days. I think if they are a 'good' sleeper generally and you know how to read their sleep cues then it is a bit of trial and error especially when when dropping a nap.

Madallie Fri 11-Jan-13 20:50:40

Yes, i'm hoping that the 1 nap doesn't make her OT. I guess we'll see if she starts waking early or being restless at night.

Not the best time to judge her sleep right now I guess as last few days she's been really bunged up with cold. Poor thing! Will probaby get a better idea when she recovers from the cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now