Talk

Advanced search

Waking 10 week old for a feed before my bedtime?

(4 Posts)
Zara1984 Sun 06-Jan-13 08:37:37

10 week old DS usually goes down for the night at 7.30/8.00pm after bath-bottle-cuddle. About 50% of the time he sleeps through to 5am. More recently he's waking at about 1.30am for a feed. Sometimes he will also wake at 5am. It often takes him a while (40 mins+) to get settled back to sleep after a 1.30am feed.

I'm wondering about waking him up at say 10.30pm for a final feed with the goal of getting him to sleep through to about 5am+. Ie, unwrap his blankets and turn on lights and try to get him to wake up naturally, then feed him and resettle him. A classic dream feed (ie where he's asleep) will not work because his mouth is sealed shut when he's asleep, and he will not take a bottle! I know this technique is something Gina Ford suggests - I'm not doing the GF schedule but have gleaned various useful tips from the book. However I am worried he will be grouchy (fair enough, I would be) and hard to resettle to sleep.

I know I'm in for sleep disruption every time he goes through a a bit of a growth spurt though! That's ok of course, but just wondering if this technique could generally be useful for getting DS through to 5am+ a good proportion of the time?

Has anyone done something similar with success? Or should I just be grateful for what I've got for now...

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 06-Jan-13 10:00:53

I think you should be grateful with what you've got, personally. Waking him up that much at an odd hour sounds a bit counterintuitive to me, and may become something he expects, and therefore a lot more difficult to settle him down after. Isn't there a growth spurt around 12 weeks? He could be going into this. Also, the four month sleep regression a few weeks later (if you get it) may bollocks things up even further so I wouldn't bother messing with anything now as it could all change again completely and you'd have gone to extra effort for nought.

rubyslippers Sun 06-Jan-13 10:02:55

Never wake a sleeping baby <<bitter experience>>

You're baby has a great sleep pattern

Ihatepeas Sun 06-Jan-13 21:08:50

I wake my lo (8weeks) for a feed at 11 she then sleeps through until 7/7.30. Works well for us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: