Talk

Advanced search

Waking 10 week old for a feed before my bedtime?

(4 Posts)
Zara1984 Sun 06-Jan-13 08:37:37

10 week old DS usually goes down for the night at 7.30/8.00pm after bath-bottle-cuddle. About 50% of the time he sleeps through to 5am. More recently he's waking at about 1.30am for a feed. Sometimes he will also wake at 5am. It often takes him a while (40 mins+) to get settled back to sleep after a 1.30am feed.

I'm wondering about waking him up at say 10.30pm for a final feed with the goal of getting him to sleep through to about 5am+. Ie, unwrap his blankets and turn on lights and try to get him to wake up naturally, then feed him and resettle him. A classic dream feed (ie where he's asleep) will not work because his mouth is sealed shut when he's asleep, and he will not take a bottle! I know this technique is something Gina Ford suggests - I'm not doing the GF schedule but have gleaned various useful tips from the book. However I am worried he will be grouchy (fair enough, I would be) and hard to resettle to sleep.

I know I'm in for sleep disruption every time he goes through a a bit of a growth spurt though! That's ok of course, but just wondering if this technique could generally be useful for getting DS through to 5am+ a good proportion of the time?

Has anyone done something similar with success? Or should I just be grateful for what I've got for now...

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 06-Jan-13 10:00:53

I think you should be grateful with what you've got, personally. Waking him up that much at an odd hour sounds a bit counterintuitive to me, and may become something he expects, and therefore a lot more difficult to settle him down after. Isn't there a growth spurt around 12 weeks? He could be going into this. Also, the four month sleep regression a few weeks later (if you get it) may bollocks things up even further so I wouldn't bother messing with anything now as it could all change again completely and you'd have gone to extra effort for nought.

rubyslippers Sun 06-Jan-13 10:02:55

Never wake a sleeping baby <<bitter experience>>

You're baby has a great sleep pattern

Ihatepeas Sun 06-Jan-13 21:08:50

I wake my lo (8weeks) for a feed at 11 she then sleeps through until 7/7.30. Works well for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now