Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2 week old only sleeps when held

(8 Posts)
pinkposey Fri 04-Jan-13 20:55:00

If I put my two week old in her moses basket or don't hold her, she immediately wakes up, and cries, even when she was fast asleep til then. So far, I've been co-sleeping with her, but I don't sleep very soundly when I do, and so I'd prefer not to do this. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get her to like being put in the moses basket? Thanks!

pinkposey Fri 04-Jan-13 20:59:02

oh also, I think she'd prefer to sleep on her front or side, she seems to totally hate being on her back. I have no idea what to do, as she seems to refuse to go to sleep in the moses basket or on her back, and as she wakes for a feed every 2/3 hours, getting her to go back to sleep is impossible and I'm becoming shattered. Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks!

strumpetpumpkin Fri 04-Jan-13 21:12:26

i think wean her off gradually. i didn't want to co sleep really with my last 2 babies but it was certainly a few weeks or a month or so of getting them used to being put down and them being relaxed about it, and id concentrate on doing that during the day when youre not shattered as much. like getting her to lie down and relax because you have her hand or have your hand on her,or are leaning close to her so she can see you, or wear a tshirt for a few days and get your smell on it and lie her on that. Its nicer for her if its a gradual process and building her confidence to sleep alone.
there's not really much else in terms of sleep training that you can do at that age. she's still newborn. a tiny mammal that needs her mother close by to settle enough to sleep.

FadBook Fri 04-Jan-13 21:15:24

Sleeping on you: I know it is really hard but she is still only so little. She just wants her mum near her as that's what she has been used to for 9 months wink Google safe co sleeping and read up on it. Is there an opportunity to kick DP/DH out of the bed for a night or two so there is more room?

Sleeping on back: My dd also didn't like her back and preferred her side. I again googled it and ended up rolling up a small blanket for behind her and another one for in front of her, so she ended up sleeping on her side without rolling back or forward. This was only for a few days whilst a newborn, and she soon settled on her back.

It is only temporarily and it is only because she is so small and wants you near her. Assuming this is your first, ensure you nap when she does during the day to catch up on missed sleep from the night time.

Congrats on dd btw smile

zipzap Fri 04-Jan-13 21:24:59

I had this with ds 2. Horrible isn't it!

On phone so excuse brief reply.

I had some old fashioned towelling nappies (ie square rather than shaped) that I used in the same way as Muslins. Fab midwife said to roll them up and pack them alongside ds so he could feel them - gave him comfort and being held sensation. Also to cuddle them beforehand so they had my smell on if possible.

To start with when putting him into Moses basket also to stay close by and talking quietly, keep hand stroking him, to provide a break between being all snuggled up with mummy and all alone in a big cold empty Moses basket! I used to find slowly stroking down forehead and nose used to work well when you wanted to relax them for sleep. Also ds2 hated the dark - so I left my side light on. One of those with different settings so just a dim light but enough that he didn't freak out (and definitely not enough to be confused with daylight!)

Good luck!

strumpetpumpkin Fri 04-Jan-13 22:00:18

what about letting her sleep on her front but use a sensor mat

DangerMousey Sat 05-Jan-13 13:32:30

i found rolling up a blanket into a sausage shape and wedging it down beside DS in the moses basket (up to his shoulder height only, nowhere near his face), helped him settle. I think it made the moses basket feel less big and spacious, and made him feel more snuggly and secure.

I have friends who swear by pre-warming the basket with a hot water bottle so the baby is nice and warm when he/she goes in. Obvs you must always take the hot water bottle out before baby goes in!

Kiwiinkits Sat 05-Jan-13 14:38:02

Are you using a swaddle, or not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now