Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeps alllll day!

(7 Posts)
goodstuffhappens Wed 12-Dec-12 14:29:02

My 7 week old dd sleeps for most of the day. I wake her to feed and try changing her nappy, tickling her, opening door o window near her but she falls straight back to sleep. Needless to say she's pretty awake at night as a result! Any ideas or anyone going to tell me it's a phase and not to worry.... Either option welcome!

goodstuffhappens Wed 12-Dec-12 18:40:05

Bump...

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 12-Dec-12 18:46:50

You have a nocturnal variety. If you are happy and getting enough sleep when your baby is sleeping then you can just continue the way you are.

If you would like to switch the pattern then there are books / methods which will give you advice, it's personal choice whether you want to follow them (be warned people have strong opinions on these).

Congratulations on your lovely new baby smile

goodstuffhappens Wed 12-Dec-12 19:31:29

Thanks shagging....only problem is I also have a toddler so 'sleep when the baby sleeps' isn't n option at all. Any advice about what those (no doubt pretty grim) books say?

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 12-Dec-12 20:25:21

I used <whispers> Gina Ford but my own "lite" version. Basically I chunked the day up into 4 hour pieces starting at 7 am. In each 4 hour period the baby would be fed, changed, played with and given a sleep. Day time there was more playing, night time there was no playing, just sleep.

We weren't too precious about day time naps but followed night time routine religiously - feed - bath - feed - sleep - between 5 pm and 7 pm.

My DD is 5 now so my memories are a little hazy, sorry!

I think that the Baby Whisperer or Contented Little Baby Book have similar advice, they are usually available on Amazon for pennies or in charity shops so it might be worth looking out for them.

I imagine it can be easier for you to look after toddler when your nb sleeps in the day but you must be knackered!

lizzywig Fri 14-Dec-12 22:04:02

DD was the same & at 6wo we introduced bedtime routine - bath, milk, bed. The first night she took 5 painful hours to go to sleep! The next it took 4.5 & the next slightly less, then after 8 days she could fall asleep at bedtime. During the night we'd walk around in the dark & not talk and in the day we'd be loud. She slept through the night last xmas eve at 9wo. Whether it was the routine i don't know but it certainly worked for us!

goodstuffhappens Mon 17-Dec-12 18:58:21

Lizzywigm you've given me hope!... We're going through the 'painful hours' now.... What did you do during those 5 hours? Tx!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: