Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler sleep issues - what do we do tonight?

(3 Posts)
shoesontheglasslamp Sat 01-Dec-12 14:07:46

My 2 year old DS usually sleeps well.

Last night he woke around 4am, crying and very upset. (It seemed like a bad dream, he's been through a phase of this previously).
We went in and eventually settled him and he slept for another hour and a half or so.

Nap time today - he started crying when he realised it was nap time, really cried when I left him, but calmed and slept about half an hour, then woke in the same scared way.

He'd normally nap for around an hour, but recently he's been not wanting his nap. I've taken him up, usual routine, but he's happily bounced around for a while, not been tired so I've got him up.

Yesterday he fell asleep after lunch in the car (slightly deliberate in the hope of getting him to catch up sleep as he's been grouchy by tea time).

My DH has gone into him now, he's cheery now.

What's going on? Is there anything anyone can think of we can do to help him?

Thanks

omama Sat 01-Dec-12 14:29:09

If he's not been napping much lately, I would wonder if the crying NW at 4am, the 30min nap & the grumpiness at tea time are signs of him being overtired.

Can I ask what his usual routine is? i.e. wakeup time, naptime & bedtime? It may be he needs a later nap as opposed to no nap, or it may be an earlier bedtime would help. Its quite common for LO's to suddenly start refusing naps around age 2 but can be due to developmental reasons rather than needing to completely drop the nap & you may find in a couple of weeks he suddenly needs his nap again.

shoesontheglasslamp Sat 01-Dec-12 16:33:46

Thank you so much for replying!

His usual routine is awake between 7 and 7.30. Nap between 1.30 and 2.30 ish, asleep by 7.30.

I think overtired fits, maybe we'll shoot for an earlier bedtime tonight...

Do you think this nap time might be too early too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now