Talk

Advanced search

Tips to get 2 month old to nap in cot during the day.

(19 Posts)
Gillyweed001 Wed 28-Nov-12 19:58:22

Ds will only sleep on someone during the day. When we put him in his cot, he immediately wakes up. I had him asleep on me for 30 mins today, to male sure he was totally asleep, and still the same result. He naps in his pram when out for a walk, or in the car. I would quite like to do some jobs round the house while he naps, which at the moment is impossible! Any tips on how to get him to nap in his cot during the day, please? Thanks!

VisualiseAHorse Wed 28-Nov-12 22:58:30

Does he sleep in the cot at night? And does he spend any time awake in his cot during the day?

I used to pop LO into his pram awake, but swaddled, well fed and cosy. Then when he started to make noises, I'd lean right over him, sing/whisper in his ear, with my hands on his body, and he'd normally fall to sleep pretty quick.

Gillyweed001 Thu 29-Nov-12 02:32:45

He sleeps in his cot at night. I do put him in during the day, when he is drowsy, and he just screams the place down! At night we put him to bed at 7pm, and then have him waking about 3-4 times before properly sleeping at 10/11 wish. Will try the singing to him, although this may give him nightmares with my voice! Thanks for the advice.

bissydissy Thu 29-Nov-12 03:17:22

Swaddle and a dummy (no not a dummy - don't be a dummy victim like me). Catch your timings just right, in my case getting her the first time she looks tired. Potter around back and forth. If just grumbling leave her.

bissydissy Thu 29-Nov-12 03:17:55

Him - sorry

Gillyweed001 Thu 29-Nov-12 06:19:09

I wasn't sure about saddling, as he is in a grobag at night to sleep in, and he sucks his thumb. Maybe I'll try the grobag as well.

Gillyweed001 Thu 29-Nov-12 07:32:14

Swaddling even!

Nancy54 Thu 29-Nov-12 10:19:55

have you got a sling? i've got two month old twins and one of them will sleep in the cot during the day but the other won't so i just put her in the sling and she sleeps. means i can get on with jobs etc

Gillyweed001 Thu 29-Nov-12 14:19:28

I have a baby Bjorn, I'll try that as well. He did nap for 15 minutes earlier, so I managed some washing up smile smile

VisualiseAHorse Thu 29-Nov-12 19:36:58

My 7 month old still has a swaddle occassionally for naps (not for bedtime), it helps him get off to sleep and to sleep for longer as well.

mamij Thu 29-Nov-12 19:39:37

That's his way of telling you that you should go to the toilet, pop the kettle on to make tea and get yourself some biscuits, and to relax on the sofa while he naps on you smile

Nancy54 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:17:20

I've got a baby bjorn and a caboo carrier. They much prefer the caboo but I suppose it depends on the baby.

Gillyweed001 Fri 30-Nov-12 15:15:11

It is lovely to have sleepy cuddles, and I normally catch up on a book smile I just don't understand why he is OK in the cot at night, but not during the day?

Astonmartinis Fri 30-Nov-12 21:43:58

Totally agree - my 2 month old son won't sleep in his cot apart from at night and I've only just started trying to put him down at 7-8pm in the cot so I don't have to stay rooted to the same spot on the couch with him sleeping on me. There's only so much rubbish I can watch on the TV...
Anyway, I have given up on the cot thing in the day. If I have my older daughter with me I just get him to nap when we're on our way somewhere or in the busyness of a toddler group. If I'm on my own with him, I get moving for his naps or do one with him on me.. feel less out of control that way. I might try tough love when he's older with the cot. I figure he's still a bit young. That make sense?

Astonmartinis Fri 30-Nov-12 21:44:18

Totally agree - my 2 month old son won't sleep in his cot apart from at night and I've only just started trying to put him down at 7-8pm in the cot so I don't have to stay rooted to the same spot on the couch with him sleeping on me. There's only so much rubbish I can watch on the TV...
Anyway, I have given up on the cot thing in the day. If I have my older daughter with me I just get him to nap when we're on our way somewhere or in the busyness of a toddler group. If I'm on my own with him, I get moving for his naps or do one with him on me.. feel less out of control that way. I might try tough love when he's older with the cot. I figure he's still a bit young. That make sense?

Gillyweed001 Fri 30-Nov-12 21:55:17

Yes, it does. May leave it for a few months, and try again. One of my friends has suggested a swing, so that may be worth a look. I should just be happy he is sleeping at night. I put him down at 7:30, and he is still soundo, bless him! I should just leave any housework till the evening, then I can rope dh into doing some as well! smile

PeerieMootsMum Fri 30-Nov-12 22:22:10

White noise saved me with this - downloaded an app onto my iPad and hey presto went from 20min naps to 2hr plus overnight when DS was about 8wks. Before then I'd been rooted to sofa afraid to move for fear of overtired grumpy baby! Apparently the trick is to leave it on so that when they come out of a deep sleep cycle it lulls them over into the next one and can honestly say its worked wonders for us. Parents/in-laws think I'm mad as quite often put it on when I'm out and about to stop him waking when movement stops but hey, having the sound of an aeroplane coming from the pram has to be better than a screaming baby...

molejazz Sat 01-Dec-12 01:00:58

White noise is good, swaddling helps too. You can do an one arm swaddle so that he can still suck his thumb. Thumb-sucking is usually genius for babies self-settling. Where is he sleeping? If noisy, try quiet and vice versa?

2 months is a transition point I reckon - 8 weeks was about when I needed to move DD from moses basket in lounge to cot in her room with the heater on.

Gillyweed001 Sat 01-Dec-12 07:13:05

He is in a cot in his own room. Has been in it for 3 weeks now. Thank you for all the advice smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: