Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help with dropping night feeds

(8 Posts)
karatekimmi Fri 23-Nov-12 04:08:41

My 6 month old had been waking every 2 hours for a little feed and comfort. As he is now eating 3 meals a day we have decided to stop feeding him at night. It didn't go too badly the first night - he was offered water when he woke and cuddled back to sleep. Last night was a bit different as we had a patch of awakeness (?) between about 1.30 and 3.30.
Food wise he seems fine, not too distressed, but tonight is killing me. My DH is not very supportive in so much as when I asked for him to help me not give in last night he said to just feed him, and again just now, he said he'd looked on the Internet and said to stop if it wasn't working.
I can understand stoping I it hasn't worke for a week or so, but I think 3 nights is too early to see if it's working.
Has anyone else done this? Should I just resign myself to the fact that I am going to be knackered to the poor of it affecting my health and give up? Or is short term loss worth the long term game?
Thanks for any advice!

minibmw2010 Fri 23-Nov-12 06:48:42

I think 6 months is too young to stop the night feed. If you have only just started weaning then he's by no means eating enough in those 3 tiny meals to compensate for losing a whole bottle of milk. He's hungry ...

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 23-Nov-12 06:50:25

I think it's too young too, he'll stop waking for milk when he's ready.

karatekimmi Fri 23-Nov-12 07:50:13

Okay, thanks guys, not why I wanted to hear, but I guess it's back to the feeds every 2 hours!! It's just annoying to feed him every 2 hours through the night and then him not feed from 7 til 12 ish on a regular basis!
What else could I do to try to actually get some sleep? I'm on my knees and getting ill with lack of sleep (he only naps for 30 mins 3-4 times a day so I do lie down but rarely get sleep!)

karatekimmi Fri 23-Nov-12 08:42:08

7-12 ish in the morning - he's just not hungry then!

mummybare Fri 23-Nov-12 08:53:08

There is some middle ground between feeding every 2 hours and night weaning. Personally, I wouldn't feed more regularly at night than during the day, so if you feed every 4 hours during the day, I would make a rule that I would try not to feed back to sleep if baby wakes within 4 hours of the last feed. (Perhaps DH may have more luck if baby's used to you feeding to sleep?) The hope is that baby gets used to settling in other ways and doesn't get the days and nights muddled. Worth a try?

karatekimmi Fri 23-Nov-12 09:30:34

Thanks mummybare I might give that a try tonight. People have suggested dream feeds but I'm so exhausted that I'm in bed around an hour after he goes down (at 7). Maybe the break in routine might make it better tonight.
Fingers crossed!

mummybare Fri 23-Nov-12 10:14:42

Yeah, dream feeds never really worked for us either, although we did try a few times. I think it just disturbed DD's sleep and she never really took much as she wasn't really hungry yet.

Definitely get some help and support from your DH. You need sleep and DS might be more likely to go down without a feed if he is the one seeing to him.

Do you use a dummy at all? Only I think it really helped DD to settle as she's quite a 'sucky' baby and it sounds as though your DS might be after comfort as much as food... Just an idea if you haven't tried it already. We also lightly swaddle DD's arms with a giant muslin or a blanket, depending on the temperature, to stop her waking herself up by thrashing about. (She can free herself if she tries, but it just stops her waving her arms about if she's just stirring rather than waking iykwim.)

Sorry, I'm rambling now, just throwing some ideas out there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now