Talk

Advanced search

is feeding to sleep the issue?

(4 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 19-Nov-12 02:43:19

12mo DD is a crap sleeper, wakes several times in the night for no apparent reason, really struggles to get back into a deep sleep. Planning yet another sleep training plan to implement once our current set of guests leave - but wondering if the fact that she feeds to sleep (on a bottle) is the root cause of problems?

She's nightweaned because giving her milk in the night was only working 50% of the time anyway but her bedtime routine is dinner, bath, dressed into PJ's and sleeping bag, milk, dummy, bed. We have music and a light show thing playing but she either falls totally to sleep on the bottle - or she doesn't and is wide awake standing up, shouting, crying until I go through it all again.

I've never actually tried "sleep training" without feeding to sleep (mainly because I'm generally on my own at bedtime and have DS to sort out too), but should I try tackling this as well as night wakings? I really don't want to rock the boat if I don't have to`!!

VisualiseAHorse Mon 19-Nov-12 09:57:09

I would put a bigger gap inbetween feeding and bedtime. Do the bottle before you put her in her PJs.

mewkins Tue 20-Nov-12 22:33:39

Yes, as I understand it we all stir awake or go into light sleep in the night. Sounds like your dd doesn't know how to get herself back to sleep as she always falls asleep on the bottle. I would think that the way to make sleep training more effective is to tackle the way she initially gets to sleep at night.
x

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 21-Nov-12 02:24:06

Bugger....I think you're right

Oh well, current guests leave on Saturday, it's her birthday Sunday so might leave it til Monday!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now