Talk

Advanced search

4 week old napping upstairs in daytime

(21 Posts)
St0ners Sun 18-Nov-12 17:35:36

Hi, we have started putting our 4 week old upstairs in his basket for his daytime naps...and also obviously fr through the night also. This gives us loads more freedom as he only wanted to sleep on us and struggled to get any decent sleep in the lounge in his basket due to noise and light etc and come early evening was a nightmare. I'd be interested to hear anyone else who is doing this and some reassurance that it continues to work and doesn't start to mess up their night times....which at the moment it isn't! Thanks

CollieEyeOfNewt Sun 18-Nov-12 17:39:02

Yep, I did this with both of mine. They nap a lot at that age & I put them in their Moses basket wherever it was convenient. Upstairs or in the lounge.

Not sure why you think it'd mess up their night time sleeping.

Welovecouscous Sun 18-Nov-12 17:40:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VisualiseAHorse Sun 18-Nov-12 20:50:49

Sorry welovecouscous - have to disagree. Mum or dad should just sit in the room while baby is sleeping, even during the day? I think it's ok to leave a baby to sleep by themselves, as long as they're checked on, or you have a monitor.

Welovecouscous Sun 18-Nov-12 20:58:26

Boggler Sun 18-Nov-12 20:59:21

I agree there's no way you can stay constantly in the sane room as a sleeping baby, you'd get nothing done. At night yes they should be in the same room but no need for daytime naps and it's not practical to have a baby sleep in a hot kitchen etc. As for where baby should have a nap I always put mine in their crib or cot that way they always associate it as the place to sleep. My dd is 12 wks and goes up to bed at 7pm and sleeps through the night - there's no way she would be able to sleep in the living room and my son was exactly the same.

WeAreSix Sun 18-Nov-12 20:59:54

Fine in the daytime with monitor on & regular checks.

Night times - no way would I have a 4 week old baby in a separate room, for a couple of reasons. Firstly I wouldn't feel safe. I like my babies to be close to me so I can respond quickly when they cry. Secondly it is easier for breast feeding and I am still establishing feeding at 4 weeks. Also, even though the SIDS guidelines are just guidelines / advice it's advice I follow.

It's personal choice, but wouldn't be my choice to be that separated from my baby.

snala Sun 18-Nov-12 23:30:34

Why wouldn't you follow the SIDS guidelines? Do you think babies don't die of SIDS in the day? confused

A monitor wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Sun 18-Nov-12 23:33:39

have to say i agree with couscous

you can put thru baby in a Moses basket in the roomyou're in and still get stuff done. it's totally different going in and out than leaving the baby unsupervised fir the whole time

Pooka Sun 18-Nov-12 23:37:38

I'd have baby nearby rather than upstairs in crib.

Used to have dcs in their pram (carry cot) or a crib I kept downstairs. They were good at dealing with noise, but often there wasn't much because I tended to have rest at same time, whether reading or napping on sofa. Advantage of carry cot on pram base was that I cold wheel them through house if I was busy. Mostly though, more than anything, would take opportunity for them to fall asleep on me and then I could be as immobile as I fancied. Or transfer to crib when I needed to get going with stuff.

SIDS can happen in daytime. Happened to a mumsnetters several years ago. sad

LadyMetroland Sun 18-Nov-12 23:43:18

I'm assuming you're in same room at night.

If he won't nap anywhere else during the day then perhaps stick with it - as long as you're checking very regularly. But personally I'd rather keep my baby close at all times at 4wks old.

stargirl1701 Sun 18-Nov-12 23:47:13

I put my 10 week old LO in her pram when she sleeps in the day. I just wheel her from room to room as I cook, tidy, put on washing, load dishwasher, etc. I do go to the toilet alone and pop upstairs to collect dirty laundry, etc. I try to have a noisy house too so she gets used to sleeping with background noise - radio, doorbell, washing machine, dishwasher, etc.

Babies should be in the same room as parents as much as possible until 6 months.

louisianablue2000 Sun 18-Nov-12 23:59:42

Well if I had DC3 in the same room as me at all times then he'd never sleep due to his two older sisters wanting to hug him ALL THE TIME. It is completely impractical advice for anyone who is not a first time parent, up there with 'sleep when the baby sleeps'. Do I sit the older kids in front of the TV all day while I catch up with my sleep from the night before? If only that were possible!

Pooka Mon 19-Nov-12 08:02:59

Not a first time parent - three dcs. 2 yr age gap, then 4 year age gap. They all slept downstairs when little. The 2 year old would play with me while the baby slept nearby. Naps (afternoon) coincided for magical 6 month period when the second was a little older.

With dc 3, dc1 was at school and dc2 was still home for a year. Again, we pottered while the baby slept.

It really isn't impossible or impractical.

VisualiseAHorse Mon 19-Nov-12 08:24:29

My baby wouldn't sleep if he was in the same room as us, with the dog barking etc.

Mind you though - I live in a flat, so when the baby fell asleep in his pram, I'd wheel him into his bedroom (leaving doors open etc) so he could sleep in the dark and quiet.

By monitor, I meant an Angelcare type one, one that goes under the baby.

snala Mon 19-Nov-12 12:51:05

Again. The angel care one would be useless. They don't sound until the baby has stopped breathing. By then its too late if the baby has died from SIDS as they can't be revivedsad.

The idea of keeping them close is so that your breathing and household noise etc keeps them in a lighter sleep, therefore keeps breathing regular.

It really isn't that difficult to keep them in the same room or near by. (I am also not a first time parent dc3 is due on Monday)

Welovecouscous Mon 19-Nov-12 13:10:12

FairiesWearPoppies Mon 19-Nov-12 13:15:59

My ds is 26 wks and no way would I leave him to sleep alone. During day he sleeps in pram or Moses basket as I just move them from room to room. At night he sleeps next to bed.

Ultimately it's your choice but personally I don't wanna take any risks when comes to SIDS

snala Mon 19-Nov-12 13:18:12

It's not that they don't work, they just aren't designed to prevent cot death.

My friends little girl choked and the angel care went off as she stopped moving ( around 8 months old) she was revived and taken to hospital. It saved her life.

With SIDS it's all about prevention as there is no cure- once they have stopped breathing it really is too late.

blushingmare Mon 19-Nov-12 15:36:27

You manage to get your 4 week old to sleep on their own in the basket? envy Still trying this with 23 wo dd.... smile

naturalbaby Mon 19-Nov-12 15:41:06

I did quite early with ds3 because there were older kids making a noise in the house, and the house is open plan downstairs so very difficult to get it dark and quiet enough.

If you're worried about SIDS and there are no other dc's in the house then could you put a travel cot in the lounge with a blackout canopy over it to keep the light out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now