Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for moving DS into his own room...

(6 Posts)
SwivelHips Sun 11-Nov-12 19:30:31

DS is nearing 6 months and the plan has been to put him in his own room. DS isn't a great sleeper (never has been) and perhaps a part of this is we disturb him (DH v clumsy and drops glasses of water, kicks my hairdryer etc...hardly surprising he can't sleep). He sleeps in his cotbed from approx 10pm until 4am (with various feeds/cuddles inbetween) and from approx 4am we cosleep for my sanity.
Any tips to make the transition easier? Should I make the move before we start weaning or doesn't it really matter?
First time mum so any advice greatly appreciated smile

MoonlightandRoses Sun 11-Nov-12 21:15:48

Has to be said small child here didn't notice the transition at all (except to add another couple of hours onto the night-time sleep grin ).
Admittedly we moved into own room once the Moses basket was outgrown around 12 weeks and then used a reverse baby monitor (i.e. they can hear you rather than the other way round) based on a, probably sleep-deprived rationale that if one of the rationale for sharing a room for SIDS prevention is your breathing 'reminds' them to, then this fitted the bill but allows everyone some rest.

If you're BF'ing it might be easier to wait until weaned from your point of view, but shouldn't matter from his.

poocatcherchampion Sun 11-Nov-12 21:20:16

We did it at 7.5 months a few weeks ago and we just did it. I hated it and it made no difference whatsoever to sleep, but gradually I've got used to it and it ismuchmore relaxing not worrying about waking her all the time. No real tips but sending some bravery!

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 11-Nov-12 21:25:57

My DD moved into her room at 3 months as she is long and wouldn't of fit in her Moses basket much longer. She did however sttn so may of been easier for us all.

I started with doing daytime naps in Moses basket in cot (iykwim) but bedtime still in with us. Then all sleeps in Moses basket in cot, then daytime sleeps in just cot and bedtime in Moses basket in cot, then finally moses basket away.

Are you able to start with doing just daytime naps in his room for a week or so? Then he can get used to his room before being in there all night?

SwivelHips Mon 12-Nov-12 11:12:03

Unfortunately because its a cot bed (and not easy to move) there's nothing for him to nap on in there. I do spend time in there with him playing etc so he knows the room. I really struggle getting him into cot during the day even in our room....he's down now (first time ever) but I doubt he'll last.
I think I just need to go with it and see, few more weeks build up some courage. doubt I'll sleep those frist few nights.
Thanks all smile

poocatcherchampion Mon 12-Nov-12 19:12:07

We didn't have a choice with a bed in each room, we dismantled and moved it so had to do it over one night. I didn't sleep for a few nights but am OK now, and she was in with us on the weekend staying elsewhere and I preferred her in her own room when we gog back so the tide has turned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now