Talk

Advanced search

If you have a 30 minute napper.......

(12 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Sat 10-Nov-12 02:14:29

how many naps a day do you try to get out of them?

My 15 week old is a non-napper. This doesn't freak me out as his now 2 year old sister was exactly the same and it worked itself out by the time she was 7 months, with a bit if help.

But dd was a happy non-napper, ds is grumpy and I seem to spend all day trying to get him to sleep and fitting in his incessant feeding.

So if a well rested 4 mo baby can last a few hours between naps how long does your non-napper before you try again

Am wondering as we have no kind of routine over here and would love to start introducing some kind of plan so that I can work my day around dd's and ds's needs

NuzzleandScratch Sat 10-Nov-12 02:20:11

No advice I'm afraid, but just to say that my 14 week old is a non napper too! She'll literally have 20 minutes here and there during the day and that's it! But like your dd was, she actually seems ok with this. She sleeps well at night, so I'm starting to think that maybe this is just the way she is. Dd1 was similar, but would at least nod off in the pram, but dd2 rarely does this!

To answer one of your questions, I've noticed that she does seem to get a bit grouchy after about 2 hours awake. The one place she will tend to nod off is in a sling. Have you tried that?

TeuchterInTheCity Sat 10-Nov-12 02:24:51

My DD was the queen of gte 30 min nap, you could set your watch by her. By 4 months she could manage 2 hours awake pretty much, certainly no more..

ElphabaTheGreen Sat 10-Nov-12 04:35:58

I leave 1.5 hours between my DS waking up from one nap and getting him ready for the next. He is also a half hour napper, and an awful, awful night sleeper, so NEEDS to be got down for naps or turns into an overtired screamer. The 1.5 window, which seems to be lengthening a bit to 2 hours now that he's almost 6 months, seems just right for him to be able to get to sleep quickly (with assistance from boob) and heavily enough for me to get him into his pram or cot as he's not reached overtired phase. Yours may be better of with a 1.25 hour awake time - maybe start being on hyperalert for yawning, eye rubbing, grizzliness after about one hour awake so you can work out what your DC's awake window is? Depending on what time my DS chooses to wake up for the day, I might get anything up to four naps into him this way.

Wish I could feel as perky and refreshed as he does after 30 minutes sleep confused

PickledLily Sat 10-Nov-12 04:51:51

Yep, 30min napper here too
. I've often wondered whether a routine would help but have never managed to get into one because mornings are a mess as DD doesn't sleep well at night.
DD lasts an hour for the first couple of naps (anytime btwn 5 and 9.30am) and then no more than a couple if hours for the next few. But that's all gone out of the window in the past few days (I've a thread on the go about that!). DD is 7mo.

blushingmare Sat 10-Nov-12 05:25:07

Yes 30 minute napper here too. She tends to go an hour and a half between naps, although this week (at 5 months) she seems to be dropping her late afternoon nap, so I'm having to push her on from around 3:30 til bath time at 5:30 then bedtime feed at 6, which is hard because she is tired and needy at that time, but this week if I've let her sleep later in the day like I used to I haven't been able to get her to bed til 8:30!

She will occasionally surprise me by dropping off for her lunchtime nap in the pram and staying asleep for over an hour, but that's a rare, and much celebrated event contrary little madam

toomuchtooyoung Sat 10-Nov-12 08:24:25

Hmm, sounds like there's no hope for doing anything other than feeding and sleeping.....and whinging

Working to a 1.5 awake time, although will go longer in the pram - as long as it's moving. But dd hates being sat still for so long so can't easily combine the two.

He used to sleep for ages in the slings I have, but they're now reduced to 30 minutes too

I know it won't last forever though, and have hope as I managed to turn dd into a good napper who even now at 2.2 will regularly have a 2 hour afternoon nap

Oh for a happy non-napper

blushingmare Sat 10-Nov-12 13:29:13

Our of interest toomuch, did your dd just turn into a good napper on her own or did you have to do anything?

bissydissy Sat 10-Nov-12 15:48:39

Yes - how. I'm in the lead here with 45 mins but it's like she's got a tiny pocket watch concealed in those pointless pockets they put in baby clothes. She is also exhausted all the time.

Btw we aim for two awake hours at 6 months. Can do 3 if slept longer.

toomuchtooyoung Sat 10-Nov-12 17:17:24

I was kind of forced into dealing with it when she was just over 6 months and dh had a heart attack. It meant I couldn't walk the streets for hours on end to get that elusive 30 minutes, but nor could I have her crying in the house for the small amount of nap time she obviously needed, as dh needed peace and quiet to recuperate.

I'm desperately trying to remember exactly what I did but do remember going into her room at 25 mins and pinning her hands by her side, rubbing her hands and shushing loudly. Couldn't swaddle any longer as she rolled too much. I also blacked out her room entirely, even taping blackout material to the window panes underneath a blackout blind and blackout curtains. Also had loud White noise on continuously, a dummy and later two small pieces of blanket for comfort.

There was a bit of crying, and also had to stop bf as others had to be able feed her.

Some serious props going on there but I had to do something. Now at 2.2 she has her blankets and unfortunately her dummy but it's only for sleeptime, and she Has happily gone to bed and self-settled since then.

Ds confounded me today by happily gurgling away 2 hours after his last nap!

I'm trying to remember what else I did.....

blushingmare Sat 10-Nov-12 17:23:32

Gosh that must have been hard - hope your DH is ok now.

Must be something in the air as we've also had a good day - she fell asleep on the 5 min drive back from the shops at lunchtime, I brought the car seat in and put it upstairs on my bed and she stayed asleep for 2 hours! Now what is it about today that made her stay asleep when normally she'd wake up as soon as the car engine is turned off?!

bissydissy Sat 10-Nov-12 22:12:11

Thanks for the advice too much. Really sorry to hear about your DH. Hope he is much recovered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now