Talk

Advanced search

How long does your 6 month old go between feeds at night?

(13 Posts)
Saltytomato Thu 08-Nov-12 20:34:43

...and what is the norm? I know my DS is supposed to sleep for about 11 hours, but he still wakes frequently for feeds. I am turning into a zombie. I have been reducing the amount of milk for each feed ovr the past week, but before cutting out completely I would like to know what is a reasonable gap between feeds?

DialMforMummy Thu 08-Nov-12 20:38:28

I don't know what a reasonable gap is. Mine goes down at 6.30/7, dream feed then another feed in the night, that I am reducing gradually (2 fl oz at the mo with mixed success) up at 6.30 ish in the morning. Is your Dc on solids yet?

Saltytomato Thu 08-Nov-12 20:44:45

Yep, he is in the 100th percentile for height and weight and has been on solids for about 1.5 weeks. 2 bowls of baby rice for breakfast and dinner and pears for lunch at the moment. He consumes about 40 ounces of milk a day too, so can't actually be hungry at night!

I put him down at 7/7.30 then he is awake at around 11, then 2, then 5.30 and then 7am....

I can barely function! The first night he had solids he slept for 10 hours straight, so fooled me into thinking it was going to be a regular thing....! It was a complete one off.

DialMforMummy Thu 08-Nov-12 20:51:47

Keep reducing the feeds, maybe you can replace some of the feeds by water? I'd focus on trying to eliminate the 2am feed first.

Saltytomato Thu 08-Nov-12 20:55:44

I was thinking that since 2am is about 7 hours after the 7pm one I would keep that and try and drop the 11pm and 5am? Then drop the 2am one after another week or so?

DialMforMummy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:01:05

Yes but for your own sake, you can have a longer stretch of sleep if you get rid of the 2am one. But hey, whatever works for you! You could give him a full feed at 11 or whatever time you go to bed and with that hopefully, he would not need the 2am one.

Saltytomato Thu 08-Nov-12 21:04:46

Thanks for your thoughts. I will post tomorrow and let you know what i did in my sleep deprived haze smile

DialMforMummy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:05:57

Good luck!

Bagofspiders Thu 08-Nov-12 21:12:46

Why don't you give him some baby rice in the evening? It really helped with DS who was also a big, hungry baby!

Saltytomato Fri 09-Nov-12 08:07:55

Thanks ladies. I do give him baby rice before bed! smile

He woke up at 11.30, I comforted him but didn't feed him and he slept til 5.30, I fed him and he went back to sleep and just got up at 8am. Woooooo

teacher123 Fri 09-Nov-12 09:06:16

That's great! My 6 1/2 month old DS tends to wake once or twice a night for a feed, sometimes lulling me into a false sense of security by sleeping through! Last night he went to bed at 6.15 and didnt wake until 5.30am. He would normally go back to sleep till 7, but did an epic dirty nappy so that was us up this morning. Am looking forward to him going down for his nap so I can have a kip on the sofa...

His current favourite trick is to wake up at 3.15am and just be wide-a-frigging-wake for about an hour. As he longer feeds to sleep, a feed doesn't necessarily make him drop off, which means if he can't get back to sleep, none of us can...

Saltytomato Fri 09-Nov-12 09:10:33

Aw teacher I feel your pain. My DS was waking all night and I used to feed to sleep too, but then he just started playing after his feeds and twisting himself around his cot and I would have to untangle him!

Last night instead of feeding, I did what they say to do in the Ferber book, comfort, but don't play and don't feed and it worked brilliantly. But he always lulls me into a false sense of security too, so who knows what tonight will bring! Haha

SarryB Fri 09-Nov-12 12:46:43

Mine has just started going 7pm to 7am without a feed! But, before he start doing that two weeks ago, he would feed at 6.30pm, get a dream feed at 11pm then sleep till 6am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now