Talk

Advanced search

Noisy straining piglet aka 3.5wo DS2

(9 Posts)
Twobuttonsaway Tue 06-Nov-12 08:38:23

My DS2 is EBF and now 3.5 weeks old. He's feeding well and putting on weight. He's quite snuffly and hiccups a lot and is quite windy, though not hugely distressed by it generally.

My issue is nighttimes when he is keeping DH and I awake half the night (usually post 2am to morning) with snuffling, grunting and straining noises that are very loud. DS1 didn't do this hence the post. Is this normal?? Will he grow out of it?? Don't want to eject him to nursery yet! He is also a bit if a sicky/posseting baby with occasional silent reflux/gagging. Should I be concerned??

Thanks in advance.

Flisspaps Tue 06-Nov-12 08:39:40

Perfectly normal smile

Annoying but normal.

lindsell Tue 06-Nov-12 08:43:39

Sounds normal to me - my ds1 has always been a v noisy sleeper and still is aged 3.5yo, I'm so used to it that I can't sleep without the noise of him snoring etc over the baby monitor. Ds2 on the other hand is a v quiet sleeper and I can't hear him despite the fact his cot is right next to my bed which meant in the early weeks I kept panicking that he'd stopped breathing. That's the one good thing - you can be reassured that they're ok as you can always hear them grin

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 06-Nov-12 08:51:58

Sounds exactly like my 4 week old DD2. She has reflux and starts grunting about 30 minutes before waking for each feed. Have you tried raising the head end of your DS's cot / moses basket? I think it helps a little an d certainly reduces the vomiting and discomfort.

It is annoyingly noisy. I often take DD downstairs to sleep from about 4am so that DH can get more sleep. I try to catch up on my sleep when DD naps.

We have taken DD to the gp about her reflux because DD1 also has it. DD2 has Gaviscon which is reducing the discomfort and vomiting but has not reduced the noise.

SarryB Tue 06-Nov-12 11:54:46

Very normal! And precisely the reason I moved LO to his own room during the 2nd week! I didn't feel guilty at all moving him to his own room so young - it's right next door (very thin walls), and takes about 5 steps from my bed to his if he needs me.
He's much better now at 6 months. I think it started improving around 3 months, he also had very bad reflux.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 06-Nov-12 21:21:50

DS was like this & had reflux from a cows milk protein intolerance. It disappeared once I cut all dairy & soy out of my diet (also EBF).

Not sure moving them into their own room is advisable for SIDS reasons, as annoying as it is. DS choked on his own vomit at 6 weeks while asleep & I ended up in A&E with a baby that couldn't breath. Totally terrifying. If I hadn't been their to help him he would have died sad. Not worth the risk IMO.

thetigerwhocametoteax Tue 06-Nov-12 21:22:27

Yes we have exactly the same with our 11 week old DS2! He spends all night grunting and snuffling and making the strangest nasal noises. I actually mentioned it at the 6 week check and the doctor said it was completely normal. I sleep with ear plugs in and find that makes a huge difference. I hear him when he wakes for feeds no problem but it cuts out the background noise!

lucylookout Tue 06-Nov-12 21:52:04

Very normal, our DS2 had it, was driving us crazy and then disappeared almost over night at 11 weeks. He's still a rubbish sleeper, just not so noisy about it wink

lucylookout Tue 06-Nov-12 21:54:58

Oh, and agree you shouldn't move him to nursery yet. The SIDS advice is there not so that you can hear them if they need you, but so that they can hear you. Your breathing regulates theirs and reminds them to breath at times I think.
Don't worry, won't last long

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now