Talk

Advanced search

Moving DS into his own room.

(8 Posts)
ElphabaTheGreen Tue 06-Nov-12 06:28:55

DS is soon to hit the magic 6 months where we can, in theory, move him into his own room. Problem is, he still wakes three to four times a night and it's so much easier to deal with this with him in the same room, than if I had to traipse down the freezing fucking cold hallway several times a night. However, I understand he may wake less without us in the same room. I'm also concerned that the older he gets, and the more aware of his surroundings he gets, he'll get harder to settle in a different room.

Is this one of those 'use your crystal ball' problems or does anyone have some good experience/wisdom/advice to share?

bissydissy Tue 06-Nov-12 06:32:50

We have been experimenting with sleeping in the spare room and ........... same old ,

Do you have a spare room. Gives you a chance to try and allows night feeds in a cosy bed. DH says he'll buy me a bean bag for baby's room sad.

JimbosJetSet Tue 06-Nov-12 06:37:40

DD was waking several times a night leading up to the magic six months mark while she was still in our room, and I had exactly the same worries as you (and it was the same time of year - freezing!)
We moved her into her own room the day she turned six months. It took a good couple of weeks, but her sleep did actually improve once she got her own room. I'd recommend giving it a shot!

teacher123 Tue 06-Nov-12 07:20:28

Give it a go before it gets colder! Don't underestimate how nice it is to be able to talk to DH in bed and occasionally read a book or something! Makes a big difference. Yes we've had phases where he wakes every hour and a half, but overall his sleep massively improved in his own room.

SarryB Tue 06-Nov-12 11:57:39

I have a mattress in LO's room for nights feeds and cuddles and sleep. Although I haven't had to use it for a whole 8 nights!! Nice comfy duvet too, and you don't need to worry about baby rolling off the bed smile

Also helps OH to sleep better, as he can't sleep with LO in our bed.

Saltytomato Tue 06-Nov-12 15:04:13

I just moved my 5 month old into his own room n slept on a mattress on the floor for the first week. Having his own room made no difference to the night wakings though so I'm traipsing down the hallway now! sad

SwivelHips Tue 06-Nov-12 20:57:00

Eeh I'm dreading it. Ds is 22wks and I want to move him, he's such a noisy sleeper. I have visions of me jumping into his cot with him to get some shut eye. No room for mattress on floor in there sadly..

onefishtwofishredfishbluefish Tue 06-Nov-12 21:28:47

Biggest regret moving ds out at 5 months. Dh convinced me that ds would sleep better without the noise of us in the room. Turns out it makes no difference to ds sleep but I traipse up and down all night to feed and re-settle. Dh suddenly gone deaf and doesn't hear cries on monitor at night.

If its not disturbing you too much, I would recommend keeping them in room until they sleep for longer stretches.

I used to get up, feed, put him back without waking properly. Now I'm wide awake at the end of it and often can't sleep after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now