Talk

Advanced search

Is 18 month old too young for a gro clock?

(8 Posts)
waffles1 Sat 03-Nov-12 19:25:07

Ds hs starting waking at 5-5.30ish for the last few weeks, this happened about 6 months ago and we pushed his daytime nap to after lunch, after 4 weeks of this new nap time the EW stopped (well became 6.45, but that felt like a lie in after 5am), hurrah!! Although now it's back and just wondered if the gro clock was an option as feel that we have tried everything else last time round!!

Iggly Sat 03-Nov-12 20:52:21

I think it is too young.

Have you checked if it's the cold waking them?

fififrog Sat 03-Nov-12 21:45:21

My DD is 19 months, we tried it a few weeks back, and I actually reckon she understood but after a few nights she woke up SCREAMING in the night and wouldn't let me put it on again - so it must have really freaked her out. It is a very odd blue light and not (in my opinion) nearly dim enough. I would just say tread carefully...

Incidentally my DD's early waking is a result of not needing more than 10.5 hours a night. We cured 5-5.30 by movin bedtime to 7.30 so she now wakes at about 6am. I'm not willing to push bedtime later. In your case it sounds quite sudden though so I hope there is something you can do about it!

Mopandbucket Sun 04-Nov-12 07:17:39

We're using a gro clock with 18mo ds. I don't think it's working as he woke at 430 this morning sad. We've only been using it for a couple of weeks and it's set for 555am and ds wakes usually 445 (but its erratic) but we don't get him up until mr sun comes up. He cries on and off and sometimes goes quiet for long stretches but I don't think he goes back to sleep. When the light comes on he calls us. I think he understands that the light means 'great, up time' but I think the waiting for it is really hard as he has no concept of when!

We're soooo tired. I think we probably should be setting the clock for his usual wake time and then slowly moving it forward but his wake ups are so erratic and the thought of setting it for 430am is a killer...

Iggly Sun 04-Nov-12 13:19:13

Honestly I think it is too young. Ds is now 3 and his understanding now would mean I'd consider one but not before 2.

Check for cold etc. also my ds used to be hungry - its a long time to not eat. Try giving milk and cuddling for a bit and they might sleep again.

It does pass, I promise.

Also try earlier bedtime as sometimes can be a sign of overtiredness. Would take a week of this to fix if it is OT.

waffles1 Sun 04-Nov-12 19:17:29

Thanks all! Being cold did cross my mind so last night put a blanket over the gro bag but this just ended getting kicked off as it was in a ball scrunched up at the bottom of the cot!
What covers/blankets etc do you use when it's cold?

BabiesNeedInstructions Sun 04-Nov-12 21:55:43

If It's cold I'd add extra layers inside the grobag - long sleeve vest, sleepsuit etc.

I'm going to disagree about the groclock- we got one when ds1 started waking at 5am at 19mo, and he seemed to understand relatively quickly. Even if you just get one and set it really early, it will get your dc used to the idea of night is for sleep and day is for play. When natural daylight doesn't match the times you want them to get up it's really useful to be able to point to dsomething very clear and visual to explain why they need to stay in bed a bit longer. B 21mo ds was waking at 7am, bliss!i.

Iggly Mon 05-Nov-12 06:29:18

Extra vest or set the heating for when it's bitterly cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now