Talk

Advanced search

Desperate plea for help!

(7 Posts)
Alibobster Fri 02-Nov-12 17:07:45

Ladies desperately looking for some advice, just about at the end of my tether. Ds is 4 weeks old (still very young I know). He is a great sleeper during the day and seems to spend most of his time sleeping between feeds. We have started a bedtime routine of bath, bottle and bed about 8pm and he goes down without too much fuss BUT when he wakes for a feed around midnight he will not go back to sleep afterwards. He didn't seem to like his Moses basket and used to go crazy when I tucked the covers in so he is now in his cot with a grobag. I have tried everything at night, holding him in my arms until he nods off, dummy, letting him cry but nothing works. This is seriously getting me down and my stomach is churning as I write this, thinking of the night ahead. Tonight's plan is to try swaddling him as I'm wondering if perhaps he's a bit cold during the night when he wakes (although the room is at the advised temperature). I know this phase will pass but it's just so hard at the moment - can anyone offer me any advice please?

Seriouslysleepdeprived Fri 02-Nov-12 18:45:42

Sympathies, its awful dreading the night ahead as i well know!

They are still orienting to night & day at this age. I used to feed DS by the window in day time & expose him to as much light as possible. I then keep things dark & quiet at night, no talking or interacting. Took about 4-5 weeks before he got the hang if it. smile

Seriouslysleepdeprived Fri 02-Nov-12 18:46:42

Just to add, I also found swaddling really helped & used a Swaddle Me.

Alibobster Sat 03-Nov-12 08:47:51

Thanks seriously, another bad night unfortunately. DH took him and I slept in the spare room- basically he cried and screamed from 11.30-4am, swaddling didn't help. Needless to say he is out for the count now. Don't know what I'm going to do except another Saturday night in bed at 8pm in preparation for my night shift sad

Olympicrock Sat 03-Nov-12 08:50:31

Just a suggestion, try keeping awake (if you can!) for longer after the day time feeds and lots of daylight ( although the weather isn't helping!). Using the baby whisperers EASY based routines really helped us to get day and night sorted!

Alibobster Sat 03-Nov-12 09:11:19

I try to keep him awake Olympic but it's so hard - I lifted him out of bed at 8am to feed him; he took his bottle without even opening his eyes and now he's sleeping again. I also make sure we get out for a walk and fresh air every day but again he just falls asleep in his pram. Even feeding him every 3 hrs now rather than 4 so he has less time to sleep between feeds. The weird thing is when he s first put to bed at night, round about 7.30/8pm he goes down fine it's only after middle of night feed that's the problem

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 04-Nov-12 12:55:07

I went to bed at 7.30pm on Friday & DS is 7 months blush

We have also been awake from 10pm-4am with illness for the last couple of weeks, so feel your pain. Is he unhappy being flat? I'm wondering if he might have reflux with the screaming.

I would have to strip DS off as he was sleepy too. I would literally sit with him in a nappy by the window during the day to try & keep him awake. It's takes a while the day & night thing & must be harder in the winter. It does get better though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now