Talk

Advanced search

6 month old up every 2 hours

(15 Posts)
bissydissy Fri 02-Nov-12 08:24:19

Hi. Any advice please. My 6 month old was up at 10, 12, 2, 5 last night. This is fairly normal for her.She doesn't want a full feed but won't settle without one. I always make sure she is awake when I put her in the cot and she can settle with only my hand on her. I have worked hard to stop her feeding to sleep.

I need to not feed her every other time don't? But she seems so wee (and I'm too tired to do battle at midnight).

EdwardtheEagle Fri 02-Nov-12 10:24:36

grin adding myself to the thread as we've got the exact same issue!! 6 month dd slept brilliantly (9-6 with no feeds) until 4.5 months, but now she's teething she's up every two hours, sometimes every hour!! She's sometimes hungry, but more often than not just really wriggly, banging her legs up and down and frantically rubbing her ears sad. I've given calpol, rubbed in gel etc but I'm exhausted!!

bissydissy Fri 02-Nov-12 11:27:43

Welcome! Poor you! I think the ear pulling is a sign that teething is causing ear infection?

I'm afraid I don't think we are teething or anything. We have been on a long slope of gradual deterioration for last 3 months!

BabyLabyrinth Fri 02-Nov-12 13:12:59

Can I join? We're the same. Up until 18 weeks DD (now six months) slept 6 till 4, quick feed, then on until 7 or 8. Now, I'm lucky if I get two hours' sleep in a row. She's got three teeth and another coming through now, I think, and she's also practising her rolling and "commando-crawling" in her sleep, which wakes her up. I want to go to my work's Christmas do in four weeks, but she just won't settle without the boob with DH. HOW do you manage this?

Notgrownupinmyhead Fri 02-Nov-12 13:18:03

That was me when ds2 was that age. His was hunger though and now at just turned 1 he sleeps through most nights. Grr.

What about giving weetabix before bed? If you're into natural remedies what about the Camomilla homeopathic remedy (sp) Apart from relaxing It might help with the teething pain.

It really does seem never ending doesn't it?

EdwardtheEagle Fri 02-Nov-12 14:13:51

I have got some baby rice - would you do that before or after milk?

The doc checked for an ear infection so I hope it's not that. It's like she's forgotten how to self settle like she used to and needs me/dummy/milk to get back to sleep.

Notgrownupinmyhead Fri 02-Nov-12 14:34:13

Before and mix it with milk then milk after. smile thats what I do now with his W.bix.

bissydissy Fri 02-Nov-12 15:29:59

I'm not sure it's hunger for us. We are going to start an evening meal this weekend (has breakfast and lunch currently). Interestingly a friend babysat last week (husband and I at wedding round corner car keys in hand awaiting 10:30 summons) baby took dummy at 10:30 and slept on till 1. I think she knows I will feed her/can feed her. Also we had a few better nights when the clocks changed as if that altered the habitual wakenings for a bit.

She also, like many of you have said used to sleep very well (8-8 with a feed at 2 and 6). We used to miss baby groups as we might be in bed till 9am. Aarghh!

bissydissy Fri 02-Nov-12 15:32:40

What I meant to say labyrinth was maybe if you go out she will have to settle for dad.

Stokey Sat 03-Nov-12 16:13:20

Mine is the same, seems to be since we started weaning at 6 months. She used to sleep from 7 til 5 with a dream feed around 11. Now she goes down ok, but wakes at 9.30- 10 demanding milk, and again at 2 and again at 5. She takes a bottle at 10 and the other times I feed her for just5 mins or so. Maye the first one is hunger, but don't think the 2am one can be as she only feeds for a few mins. Have been doing BLW but am considering trying mushing up banana or potato at dinner to see if she'll go longer. Or will try weetabix. Am also trying introducing a bottle in the afternoon instead of breastfeed.

forevergreek Sat 03-Nov-12 16:26:16

I would recommend waking them for a dreamfeed to break the habit of them waking and asking for food, as you will have fed them before their hunger signals

bissydissy Sat 03-Nov-12 17:06:22

Good idea forever Greek. I think anything that breaks the habit would be good. Last night baby fed at 7:30, 10:30 (ravenous - maybe too tired to feed well at bedtime) and woke at 12:30 and 2. Her dad patted her back to sleep and we got up and fed at 6am. She actually wasn't too upset not to be fed in night and wasn't even hungry at 6! We have had really poor feeds today so may be fun and games tonigt

Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 03-Nov-12 19:23:14

I was reading on tinternet a while back about foods that help promote sleep and bananas was one of them. I also second the dream feed that helped him go a few hours longer which was rather good!

bissydissy Tue 06-Nov-12 07:10:13

Well, we spent Friday, sat, Sunday patting her through her more outrageous attempts to get up. And got her down to a late night (11 ish) and early (5ish). But still up every 2 hours. DH really stepped up and became patter general.

Also introduced tea last night of fruit and rice. I've also been fishing her out of the cot as soon as she is up its after 6 (before i'd let her wriggle happily but means cot not just for sleeping in.

And ...... Slept 7:30-11, 12-6:30 last night!!!!!!

We will see how it goes but there's hope now and she's proved she can do it.

forevergreek Tue 06-Nov-12 09:26:55

I would actually let her get used to the cot outside of sleeping so that she learns it is a safe / nice place to be.

Try popping her in it whilst you put washing away/ find the days clothes etc. give her a few toys / sing to her/ put some music on so she associates it as a nice / relaxing place to be.Then When she does wake in the night it might help reassure her that she is in a place she likes and she might resettle herself/ quicker

But it sounds like she/ you both are doing well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now