Talk

Advanced search

So, the 4 month sleep regression... What do I actually DO?!

(9 Posts)
MumToBeInJuly2012 Tue 30-Oct-12 12:29:29

I've driven myself demented since DS born in July and know about most things, useful or not!! So now, after going from every 2 hours feeding, then a couple of longer sleeps recently, always feeding efficiently and STRAIGHT back to sleep...

Last night we had every hour or so, sometimes wide awake SINGING/CHATTING, moving etc!!! I know this is par for the course for some but NOT US!!!

So, do I continue to feed hourly with everything crossed hell go back off? It's just that a couple if times in months 2-3 he was up every hour from 4-7, fed him, which he took, but then when we got up he'd been sick :-/

So, I know it's the developmental/ growth spurt/ brain processing new learning/ practising new skills but does anyone have any practical advice/ dos and don'ts....

Thanks!

FantasticMax Tue 30-Oct-12 21:32:46

I would just keep doing what you are doing - but at night make sure any interaction is minimal - low lights (darkness better!), sssshing, no eye contact, no speaking. You may encourage longer spells of sleep or he may drop back to sleep more quickly if he realises it's pretty dull being awake!

I do sympathise, the 4 month sleep regression is awful and takes you right back to the newborn days and you are so tired you can barely think!! It passed for us when DD was 5.5 months and then from 6.5 months she started sleeping through every night (fingers crossed it continues - 9 months old now!)

MumToBeInJuly2012 Fri 02-Nov-12 09:30:30

Thanks for reply! Yeah I pretty much do the dark and boring thing, must admit tho that now he's such a happy chappy it's hard to ignore the beaming smiles!!

So depressing tho when you check the time and only an hour has passed since you were last up!!

belindarose Sun 04-Nov-12 17:19:30

Oh, my 4 month old has started this game! Practising his gorgeous squeals and songs at all hours, demonstrating his marvellous circus skills on his cot, and bring ridiculously cute after night feeds, trying to talk and touch my mouth. Until a few nights ago, the saving grace of multiple night feeds was that he'd drop straight to sleep afterwards.

He's almost too tired in the day to do all these lovely things - and I'm too tired to appreciate them.

lucylookout Sun 04-Nov-12 22:10:59

I've no advice sorry but am going to hang around in case anyone who has any comes along! DS is 16 weeks on Tuesday, has never been a great sleeper but has definitely got worse over the last fees days. I'm just taking a 'needs must' approach at the moment and will deal with any consequences when less tired.

belindarose Sun 04-Nov-12 22:24:17

Ugh. Mine hasn't slept for longer than ten minutes at a time ALL DAY today, even when in a sling. But he's so pleased with the new things he can do! I'm so tired and just desperate for him to stay asleep now...

freelancegirl Mon 05-Nov-12 20:38:35

Am with you all, DS is 16 weeks on Tuesday too and last night it was 4 wake ups. He's not all cute and chatty at night, his game plan is to just feed feed feed, or rather comfort suck for hours if I will let him. To be honest though this seems to have been happening since week 12. Before that he was having good 5-7 hour stretches and as he hit 12 weeks hr reverted to two wake ups after his late night feed. It feels he's gone straight from the 12 week growth spurt straight into the four month sleep regression! Not sure what we can do except wait it out

freelancegirl Mon 05-Nov-12 20:39:55

And yes, all the new skills are terribly cute though smile

lucylookout Tue 06-Nov-12 22:09:44

DS spent 2 hours last night trying to roll onto his front. He can't do it during the day yet, so why he thought he could do it at night with a grobag on is beyond me. Hoping for fewer acrobatics tonight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now