Talk

Advanced search

Is there such a thing as too much sleep?

(5 Posts)
panpipe Mon 29-Oct-12 15:18:18

OK I know this is going to sound smug but it's really not meant to! 12w dd is an absolute star at nights, sleeping through from around 9pm-6am. In the day she struggles a little more to settle but when she does drift off she can be asleep for about 1.5 hours 3 or 4 times a day. I tend to watch for her tired signs rather than do a set nap routine. However I read a blog somewhere over the weekend that said that babies can get too much sleep - is this right? How much should the average (if there is such a thing) 12w old be sleeping and should I be aiming more towards a timed routine?

Chocchip88 Mon 29-Oct-12 15:21:40

That sounds great. DS2 is 13 weeks old, he sleeps for about 12 hours at night (with a couple of quick feeds thrown in there) and then has prob sleeps about the same amount of time in the day although shorter periods but more often IYSWIM.
Enjoy!

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Mon 29-Oct-12 15:21:50

DD1 used to sleep 7 - 7 from 11weeks and could still fit in at least an hour and a half nap both morning and afternoon.

dd2, erm, not so much <haggard>

Just enjoy!

fraktion Mon 29-Oct-12 15:28:23

It's only too much sleep if they're not feeding enough. Babies who don't get enough nutrition sleep more to conserve energy (and then feed less because they're sleepy so sleep more etc).

At 12 weeks you're looking at 16-18 hours sleep a day still IME.

panpipe Mon 29-Oct-12 15:40:21

She's taking 5 x 180ml feeds a day and doing plenty of wet nappies so I think that's ok. I did panic when she started going longer at night that she wasn't eating enough though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now