Talk

Advanced search

Best sleep training method

(6 Posts)
Yamyoid Mon 29-Oct-12 11:42:36

DD is getting worse and worse with sleeping. She cries herself to sleep at nap time while I rock her. She doesn't nap for long enough. She feeds to sleep at bedtime for about 2 hours, which is driving me crazy. She wakes through the night and I feed her back to sleep.

I have an older DS so want to keep crying to a minimum. Anyone particularly recommend a sleep training method? She's only 6 months old so I feel she's too young for CC although I'm starting to be tempted sad.

lorisparkle Mon 29-Oct-12 21:08:17

She is very young still - although I have been through many years of sleep deprivation so understand how you feel. I would buy/borrow the book 'Teach your Child to Sleep' by THe Millpond Clinic. It goes through loads of different options and gives factual information about sleep and routines. I found it wonderful although am still too sleep deprived to follow through with DS3!

lorisparkle Mon 29-Oct-12 21:09:45

Oh yeah by the way we followed the gradual withdrawl / gradual retreat method and it worked a treat for DS1 who had appalling sleep patterns but we did not do it until he was nearly a year.

Yamyoid Tue 30-Oct-12 14:52:08

Thanks, I'll look for the Millpond Clinic book.

Although I think that the only real solution is to grin and bear it for now grin brew

lorisparkle Tue 30-Oct-12 22:35:33

Try and do as little as possible during the day as well so you can cope with the sleepless nights. I work at a much slower pace because my sleep deprived brain is just not up to it! Children's sleep changes so much when they are little but a few gentle changes might help.

SarryB Sat 03-Nov-12 09:52:37

I did CC at 5 months old for bed time and naps. Took 4 days to work. He now sleeps 7pm-7am.

I do think he was a little bit too young, but I have severe PND and psychotic episodes so sleep is VERY important for me to function properly.

I would stick him in his cot, turn on the lullaby machine, give him his teddy and leave. I'd check after 3 minutes, then 5, then 7 minutes, then 10 minutes. If he was still crying after being left for 10 minutes, I would take him out, and restart the bedtime routine. Each 'check' involved a cuddle, a kiss and giving him his teddy and dummy back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now