Talk

Advanced search

Dropping naps?

(6 Posts)
ScariestFairyByFar Sun 28-Oct-12 20:43:12

Dd is only 17m and used to sleep 7.30-730ish recently just isn't tired at bedtime and won't go to sleep until 830/9 and is waking at 730/8 she naps for an hour anytime between 1 and 3. Wondering if we need to drop the nap but thinking surely she's too young? The late bed times are great when I'm working but when we've been together all day it's a long evening!

omama Sun 28-Oct-12 21:25:03

She does sound a little on the young side though its not impossible! There's a big developmental leap at 17 months (wonder week 10) & then you are straight into the 18 month sleep regression after that, so it could well be a developmental thing & you may find that it all settles back down within a few weeks.

My only other thought would be whether she is actually a wee bit overtired - a 1hr nap isn't much at her age. Does she wake happy from her nap, does she show any signs of overtiredness?

ScariestFairyByFar Sun 28-Oct-12 22:26:22

Yeah she wakes up happy after her sleep its usually 1hr 15m if she wakes up before that she's grumpy. She's fighting her day time sleep just now will only sleep in the car and at nursery and doesn't seem tired before it.

forevergreek Sun 28-Oct-12 22:30:05

i would also think overtired. 17 months here and still x2 naps a day (30 mins am, and 2hrs 1-3pm). also has extra hour in night as does 7pm-7.30/8am.

can you try extending nap or putting down a bit earlier in the eve? i think the average for a 1 year old is 15hrs asleep in 24hr

ScariestFairyByFar Mon 29-Oct-12 20:50:26

If I put her down earlier and force her to sleep by forced bfing she just wakes up earlier. She slept for 2hrs today at nursery and is still awake.

omama Tue 30-Oct-12 23:22:49

it may be that 1h 15 is all she needs during the day when she is getting 11.5-12hrs at night, around 13-14hrs sleep in 24 is pretty average at this age so thats bang on, before she started taking ages to settle at BT of course. I still hedge my bet on it being a developmental thing that will settle back down of its own accord - we had a rough patch at that age with super late bedtimes and EW, and after a couple of months it suddenly went back to normal.

I do find with my DS though, that I have to be careful what time I put him down for his nap. If he went down as late as 3pm, then it would certainly have an impact on his bedtime, and he wouldn't fall asleep until much later. So I always try to get him down for 1pm, sometimes he may not fall asleep til 1.30 or even 2pm, but I will make sure he is up by 3.30pm at the very latest, so that he is ready for bed at 8pm. Since your DD's bedtime is 7.30pm, you may need to ensure she is up by 3pm absolute latest, if you want her to be tired enough for bed. HTH.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now