Talk

Advanced search

Grobag

(20 Posts)
DuckWaddle Sat 27-Oct-12 08:10:25

Just been looking into . I'm Worried that in this winter weather it's going to get cold in our room (below the 18oc). I noticed they do a 3.5 tog version. Do you think it's worth getting that one?

jetstar Sat 27-Oct-12 09:29:28

I think it would have to be really quite cold to need a 3.5 tog sleeping bag. We have only used 2.5 or less tog with extra layers of clothes underneath e.g. long sleeved vest, sleepsuit, socks etc and our daughter's room goes down to 15 degrees when it's cold. I always thought that between 16 and 18 degrees was an ideal room temperature.

Indith Sat 27-Oct-12 09:30:37

get some fleece sleepsuits, cheaper!

MistressIggi Sat 27-Oct-12 09:34:41

Agree with jetstar. Just adjust layers - easier to alter, and cheaper too. Below 18 isn't that cold, my gro-egg turns blue at 16, but 17 is still in the orange range (ie fine).

maillotjaune Sat 27-Oct-12 09:37:22

Also agree with Jetstar. And remember that hands and feet getting cold is normal and doesn't mean the room is too cold.

DeeMonic Sat 27-Oct-12 09:45:06

DD was in a 2.5 tog bag last night, wearing a sleepsuit. She woke up in the night - I assume she was cold as there was nothing amiss.
When she'd settled again I put a couple of lightweight blankets over her, and she was pleasantly toasty (not hot) in the morning.
No idea what temp it was in our room as now she's over a year old I don't tend to stress quite so much.
However, I was wondering if there were heavier weight bags out there - I may have to look into is, as we were chilly and had a 4.5 tog duvet over us on top of a thin throw cover.

MistressIggi Sat 27-Oct-12 19:48:00

Deemonic the togs don't work the same way I'm sure - maybe look it up on grobag site? Ie if you had a 10 tog duvet (as I have) doesn't mean wee one should be in a 10 tog grobag!

forevergreek Tue 30-Oct-12 09:26:26

I would look actually. The recommended temp is freezing in my opinion!

Piemistress Tue 30-Oct-12 14:02:29

Slumber sac do a 3.5 tog £17.99 on amazon

DeeMonic Tue 30-Oct-12 17:42:33

Thanks all - I had a look and it does appear that the tog ratings are different.

I actually got a set of two bags at the NCT sale I went to on Sunday - they're like little 'clip on' duvets. Two for £5, can't say fairer than that. Since popping her in one of those DD has slept much better. smile

Piemistress Tue 30-Oct-12 19:11:47

Do you know what make they are? DD is cold in a long sleeve body, sleepsuit and 2.5 tog bag, toying with the slumbersac 3.5 tog or splashing out on a merino bag but they are £££

DeeMonic Tue 30-Oct-12 21:28:22

Oh blimey - not off the top of my head and I've just put her to bed! I'll have a look when I get in from college tomorrow though (got an early start so no time to MN), for you pie.

As I'm on a tight budget all these sorts of things end up being second-hand. I know that the bags came as an 'autumn & winter' set. One bag is thicker than the other but they don't have a tog rating on them.

forevergreek Tue 30-Oct-12 23:10:21

Btw, the merino ones are great! Two age groups 0-2 years, 2-4 years. Ours look like new after 3 years of constant use between 2 children.

You also only need one and no summer/ winter togs as the material adapts to temp. They hold value well also

Piemistress Wed 31-Oct-12 09:19:09

Do you reckon they are worth the extra cash? I saw a thicker winter type one for temps down to 16C

SarryB Wed 31-Oct-12 09:28:16

We use a 2.5 tog with vest and sleepsuit, and then I use a cellular blanket tucked in quite tightly, keeps him nice and warm in our chilly flat and stops him wriggling too much!

forevergreek Wed 31-Oct-12 11:44:31

I think def worth the extra

Most people I know buy a winter one, and a summer one min. Sometimes an extra thin for v warm nights. The ages are roughly a new bag every 6 months

So x2 bags every year.x2 years ( most use for at least 2 years)

A bag is approx £15 min so a winter and summer bag for 2 years is £60 min

A merino bag is £59. Last 2 years and is perfect for v hot climates ( have used in Egypt with just nappy under )and cold ( use in Switzerland every year)

Have a read up If you would like more details

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Wed 31-Oct-12 11:49:03

Gro bags are 0 to 6and them 6 to18 months then 18 to 3. So only 3 ages to buy for! Certainly not every 6 months. We love them.

I've been thinking about extra layers or a fleece sleepsuit for my baby. First was fine at. Recommend temperatures but this one seems cold. Any recommendations for sleep suits?

Piemistress Wed 31-Oct-12 17:30:02

I find a Long sleeve bodysuit better under neath sleepsuit as their arms are exposed. Primark do thin fleece sleepsuits for fiver, I find the thicker sleepsuits too thick for under a gro bag.

Is it the go go Merino bags you use?

DeeMonic Wed 31-Oct-12 18:59:41

Pie one of the bags has 'hippo' on the inside - looks a bit like a brand type logo but there is no other label. The other is logo'd TCM.
Not heard of either, and they seem to be a set, but as I said, they were second-hand, so I didn't expect to find much info.

CanI - when we took DD camping this year she went in a short-sleeved bodysuit under a babygrow, and wore that in a proper camping sleeping bag. The year before, we put her in a short-sleeved bodysuit under a fleecy babygrow, inside her heaviest tog rated baby/gro bag.
We're into layers when it's colder smile

forevergreek Wed 31-Oct-12 22:51:56

No they aren't the go go merino. They are the same ones as bambino merino sell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now