Talk

Advanced search

Am I expecting too much?

(4 Posts)
Crimebusterofthesea Fri 26-Oct-12 17:09:39

DS is nearly 10 months and I currently feed him to sleep. Sometimes he isn't asleep at the end of the feed and it can take up to 1/2 hour of sssh/pat to get him off. The best he has ever slept is 7pm - 6am, but on most nights he wakes once or twice. If he wakes before midnight, he tends to go back off to sleep with a feed. If he wakes later on, things are more difficult and he can be awake for up to an hour. I find myself getting frustrated that every single night is different - I know, I know, that's babies for you, but is there anything I could be doing to try and get him to sleep through? Does one or two wake-ups sound about right, or too much? I guess I have visions of 10 month olds up and down the country shutting their eyes at 7pm and staying that way! Tell me to shut up and be grateful too if that is what I need!

Flisspaps Fri 26-Oct-12 17:11:39

Sounds like DD at that age - perfectly normal but knackering!

roz1982 Fri 26-Oct-12 18:48:53

I don't think anyone should tell you to shut up and be grateful sleep is important and disturbed sleep even if it the situation is significantly better that a few months ago is still knackering!

What happens if you don't feed him in the night when he wakes up? Also when he wakes do you go in straight away or leave him for a bit to see if he will settle? In some ways it's similar to my 11 month old ds he sometimes sleeps through and sometimes doesn't but we don't feed him in the night anymore. It does all sound v normal though!

Crimebusterofthesea Sat 27-Oct-12 08:39:37

If I don't feed him, he is practically impossible to resettle! Last night was particularly awful, he woke at 10 and I fed him, he didn't go back to sleep and DH took over from me as he has more success than I do. Managed to get him to sleep at about 10.30. He then woke at 2, DH tried to resettle but DH wasn't having any of it. Ended up feeding him, this didn't work either.

He eventually went back to sleep at 3.45 after a combination of ssh/pat, cuddles, back rubbing and rocking. If we leave him in his cot and just stay there with him, he just screams and screams. I think we need a plan for what to do now as there just isn't any consistency with our approach and I fear this is the problem. I just wish we could have two nights in a row that were decent! Not looking forward to tonight as there will be fireworks too, woohoo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now