Talk

Advanced search

Pantly Pull Off - does it work?

(11 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Wed 24-Oct-12 21:24:24

DD is 9.5 mo and i really want to stop feeding her to sleep as it can take hours. i'm reading the no cry sleep solution at the moment and tried the pull off method tonight. tbh we kind of did this anyway - i've always waited till DD was pretty much asleep, then detach her and then carry her through to her cot. she usually winges a bit when i put her down but is asleep in less than a minute. sometimes she doesn't even stir. HOWEVER when i tried to detach her earlier than usual tonight she rooted for boob every single time to the point where she just ended up waking up again. not impressed. i don't really understand how this can work if she is used to being nearly fully asleep when i detach her.

it is also worth noting that if i dare put her in the cot while she is awake she screams hysterically. and i will not let her CIO or do CC. shudders
does anyone have any advice? i'm going to carry on reading NCSS now to see if there's any better suggestions in there!

TheMysteryCat Wed 24-Oct-12 21:28:44

I do this with Ds. I find he'll calm and drift off if I cup his cheek in my hand. I suppose it's the same skin to skin contact. I also have a musical light box that lights the ceiling over his cot. That helps too.

Brothy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:04:25

Didn't work for me I'm afraid! Just irritated my lo. It is worth ploughing through the NCSS for other ideas though.
What did work for me is changing the routine so that feeding lo almost to sleep came first. She seems much calmer then and didn't protest as much. I was very sceptical that it would work, but it has done.
Good luck

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 26-Oct-12 09:17:34

thanks for the advice. we definitely need to sort the going to sleep without the boob thing as she won't go in her cot for anyone other than myself. not even daddy or nana sad so if we go out we always come back to her asleep in her chair and it takes about 3 hours to get her resettled in to her cot (as happened last night!)

not that we go out that much but it is a problem!! will try changing her routine around tonight if i'm not too tired, only had 4 hours sleep! zzzzzz.......

Jeggie Fri 26-Oct-12 09:40:43

Hiya just to say I'm also working through the ncss with my 10.5m ds. We are a week in and although some nights have not been good I think (she is teething) on general things seem to be improving. The book does say to persevere for 10 days or so before changing (but I suppose if you've only done one or two nights and you just know it isn't gonna work that will be fine). Ds sleeps in cot til her first hungry wake up and then comes in with us. My biggest difficulty is writing down the times in the night, I'm so tired I just stick the boob in and fall back to sleep. Tut!!! The naps thing I have def noticed helps with number of wake ups. I do as book says and get her back to nap any way I can (wakes after 30-40m uc). apparently she will magically learn to stay down for longer naps... I hope so smile As for ppo my ds really doesn't like it but is starting to get better at accepting a cuddle as an alternative, sometimes on the first pull off! Bedtime routine is going better too although she tends to want boob first then story and foot rub then more boob. I always try story first but actually I think i will adjust to the way she likes then maybe try and drop the second boob in time (a lot of stories?!?!). Have also just had a panic, she is getting quite into her "lovey" (threw it across the room a fair few times) but it is, rather stupidly, a possum toy only available in Australia!!!! Have got my aussie mates on the hunt but may have to swap the lovey at some point (oh dear). Good luck with it all op!

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 26-Oct-12 10:09:35

Never worked out why feeding to sleep bothers people it's the most beautiful thing to do.
Just record a good film and put the subtitles on.
Older DCs twist round to watch, which hurts, doesn't get them to sleep and means you can't watch a decent murder.

Jeggie Fri 26-Oct-12 11:43:09

Startail I agree that people seem to worry about it too much in the early days, but by a year or so I think most bf mothers would like other people to be able to settle their baby at night or for naps (I am going back to work...) even now and again.

Jeggie Fri 26-Oct-12 11:45:35

Ha just realised I have referred to my daughter as a son. That's more of a worry....

OhWhatAPalaver Fri 26-Oct-12 16:44:31

ha, baby brain kicking in there! i know the feeling...

yeah i am utterly fed up with being the only person who can get dd to sleep, and the only way to do so is by bfing her for hours on end and sometimes that doesn't even work anymore and i have to rock her in her chair - which she is far too big for now - and then move her in to cot sad she won't go to sleep for anyone else in her cot and doesn't take a bottle so she is rather a difficult one!!

Jeggie Fri 26-Oct-12 23:18:02

Yes sounds very similar. No bottles here either, tried every night for a month, every teat under the sun, eventually just had to go out to something, got home and she hadn't touched the bottle dh had offered, thought I'd try one last time and she drank the whole thing down and looked at me like 'now do you see mummy? I can take a bottle, I just won't' ..... but I wouldn't have her any other way... Well... Except sleeping better and magically putting herself to bed ha ha. Good luck with ppo!

princesssmartypantss Mon 29-Oct-12 22:40:17

I read ndy ncss when ds was around 8 months and sleeping really badly and not very keen on going to bed either, we managed to get bedtime consistent and now he will usually sleep through the night, with sometimes one quick wake up for his 'lovey' to be popped back in the cot after it has climbed out (might have been pushed!)
We did ppo, tried a couple of times, and found the tip about gently pressing on chin useful and also gave ds a really lovely snuggle at the same time, found that having the lovey to hand was crucial, and ds sucks his thumb, so he would pop his thumb in and chill out. I did not persevere with ppo to point of waking him totally, if not going well, would just do whatever it took to get him to sleep, as thought that over time it would get better and it has. Ds is now 15 months, but he was significantly better at sleeping around a month after i reading the ncss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now