Talk

Advanced search

9 month old screaming at bedtime

(7 Posts)
BabyHaribo Wed 24-Oct-12 07:22:06

Need some advice in how to handle this please! DS has generally been a good sleeper going in his cot awake night night give dummy and teddy I leave he goes to sleep and sleeps through - same for naps. I know I am very lucky with this!

However for the last four nights when I have put him down he has SCREAMED like awful awful screaming. I have checked temperature, nappy given calpol but nothing seems to have helped. When I go to put him in the cot he fights it and arches his back. He has been fine during the day with naps.

Any ideas what could be causing this? He doesn't have any teeth yet so I wondered about teething. What should I do? I can't leave him to scream. Last night he came down with me and then I ended up going out in the car at 10 to get him to sleep which I don't want to get into the habit of! Should I try and leave him in his cot?

TIA

DrSeuss Wed 24-Oct-12 10:59:10

1) Place in cot, having assured not wet, windy, in pain, hungry.
2) Sit on floor, head bowed, silent. If he stands up, lay him down, silently and without eye contact.
3) Repeat.
4) Repeat.
5) Repeat. Eventually the penny will drop. Every night it will get easier and take less time. Gradually move towards the door. May take a week or so.

fufulina Wed 24-Oct-12 20:28:39

Wry smile at the above. I did that for months, and the penny did not drop. Still hasn't!

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Oct-12 20:31:23

What DrSeuss said.

But it may take a lot longer than a week or two.

And if you don't have creaky floor boards for when you try and make your exit, it helps.

I took to reading a book while sitting in the door way until he was asleep.

DrSeuss Wed 24-Oct-12 20:34:40

Or you can be a bit more brutal and just go for Ferberisation. Yhat works too but needs more nerve.
www.babycenter.com/0_the-ferber-method-demystified_7755.bc

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Oct-12 20:42:54

Hah! Ferber never met DS1 who at nine months old would throw up if I went to leave the room after I'd done the whole bedroom routine, settled him in his cot.

OK, DS1 is not like most DC, but Ferber is yet another practitioner who's book could be chucked out of the window when I had my first baby.

(DC2 and 3 would happily have obliged with his method)

BabyHaribo Thu 25-Oct-12 10:23:24

Thanks for the advise. Yesterday managed to keep him in his cot and there was less screaming.

I admire anyone who has kids that don't sleep it's HARD work!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now