Talk

Advanced search

Maybe going down to one nap and off to CM

(6 Posts)
showtunesgirl Sun 21-Oct-12 21:11:34

DD is 11 months old now and the last few nights she has gone down at 8pm and slept through until 7am. Hoo-bloody-ray.

During the day her routine is looking roughly like this:

7-8 wake up
11 - nap
12-1230 - wake up
3-330 - nap
4 - wake up
8 - bed

That's been working fairly well for quite a while. Her first nap of the day can be anywhere between 45 mins to 1 1/2 hours.

But in the last few days she's not been so keen on her second nap and I've been worried that it's been getting to the point that it's cutting into her needed awake time before bed. She needs four hours awake time before bed usually but do I need to extend that now?

Is 11 months too early to go to a one nap schedule? Yesterday, she resisted her first nap at 11 and then ended up falling asleep at 1230 and woke up after an hour and really didn't want a second nap after that. She had a bit of quiet time at about 5pm but didn't sleep.

In an ideal world, I would let her have the one nap at about 11-12 and then put her to bed ultra early for a bit until it works itself out but she's starting her settling in period at the CM tomorrow and then the week after that I'm back at work so it's not possible.

Do I let her have one nap at the CM and risk her being very overtired afterwards? I would be picking her up at 6pm each day. She's going Mon-Thur and I will have her all day Fri-Sun.

Does anyone have any suggestions / experiences as to what would be the best thing to do now? Sorry for the waffling and TYIA.

mogandme Sun 21-Oct-12 21:22:04

I am a nanny and have worked in nurseries typically at 11 months I am pushing littlies to stay awake till at least 12, having lunch anytime from 11.30 onwards, pushing it back as they get used to the later sleep. Then they sleep 12-2 or 2.30 then they generally manage to get through to 6.30/7 without any additional help - although would have a cudle/quiet time just before tea time at 5.

Regardless of what you do - she will find her own way over the next few weeks as she settles at CM she may not even sleep at all! With lots going on sometimes littlies don't want to sleep and miss out on anything or you may find CM puts all the children down for a nap between 12 and 2 and DD fits in with this routine. Regardless of how she sleeps, she will be tired in the evenings when she comes back from CM as she will have been so busy.

What I am trying to say is that for the next few weeks things will be up and down RE sleep anyway, so let DD find her way and hopefully it should all come together.

justabigdisco Tue 23-Oct-12 10:34:23

I came on here to start my own thread - but yours is the same! My 10mo DD has the exact same schedule, which is working find at the moment but I was just wondering when most people would think of switching from two naps to one.

showtunesgirl Tue 23-Oct-12 11:12:09

mogandme's advice is good and I'm just going to go with the flow. At the moment at home if she's had a very long first nap at about an hour and a half in the morning, she's not so keen on a second one and just seems to need some quiet time. If she's had 45 mins in the morning, then she needs another 45 minute nap in the afternoon.

She's currently at the CM's right now and has gone down for a nap three hours after being up with no problem.

mogandme Tue 23-Oct-12 20:30:50

Hi. Thought I would just say I looked after a friends 18 month old today - with mum she can be a little grumpy in the morning and has a sleep 10-11.30 then 3-5 however with me she manages to stay awake and happy until 12 when she nods of in the car/pushchair if we're out, I then wake her if she does nod off, feed her lunch then put her down for a sleep about 12.30 then she doesn't wake until 3 when I get her up. All children are different, but even more so in other situations so dont worry about it - it will work out smile

justabigdisco Mon 12-Nov-12 14:25:16

Just thought I'd update - tried keeping my DD awake til after lunch and it seems to have worked. I put her down at 1-1.30 and she'll sleep for 2 hours! Bliss! She wakes up relatively late in the morning though (7.30-7.45) so I think it's a bit easier to stretch her out til after lunch. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now