Talk

Advanced search

Co-sleeping: fed up of being cold: how do you do it?

(18 Posts)
SquidgersMummy Sun 21-Oct-12 16:35:29

I would just like to have a moan - I love BF and co-sleeping with a side car cot and DD between her mattress and me in her grobag but whatever I try it is freezing. I love nothing more than being snug fully under the quilt. Am I missing something??

1. Wrapping quilt around legs - woke up with corner of quilt over baby's head - oh yes, never sat up so quick in my life
2. Sleeping bag - so annoying as often sit cross legged to BF and wriggling down past the length of the bloody cot and out to have a pee in a sleeping bag once resulted in my falling splat out of bed - plus hood bit flaps annoyingly around - again DD magically drawn to it
3. Wearing lots of layers and just a fleecy blanket - was frozen
4. Wearing lots of layers and quilt just to waist - again frozen - DD wriggled down, I swear she can hunt bedding down

I have just ordered a fleecy onesie from eBay after another night being cold and listening to DH snoring under the quilt. If I wear pjs under onesie maybe that will work?? DH actually had a rant re wasting money re this purchase....am going to poke him tonight everytime we are awake.

colditz Sun 21-Oct-12 16:41:04

Switch yr heating on? If you're cold in a light blanket, your baby can't be warm either.

LollopingLil Sun 21-Oct-12 16:47:25

God yes, I remember being so cold! Not looking forward to doing it again in March.

I did the duvet up to knees thing, and one of my layers was a cheap long-sleeved H&M mat t-shirt with boob-shaped holes cut out so that I never had to expose any more skin than strictly necessary grin blush.

SquidgersMummy Sun 21-Oct-12 16:48:58

Using baby monitor thermometer and baby dressed accordingly - she's not cold - she cries if cold - last night monitor said it was 20 degrees - above that she cant wear grobag - think it's just me that gets cold.

5madthings Sun 21-Oct-12 16:52:25

We opted to have seperate single duvets so that i coukd stay warm and i wrapped it tightly around myself so it didnt go on baby. Also wore long sleeved cootton top sometimes.

colditz Sun 21-Oct-12 18:58:06

I'd boil if my bedroom was 20c, I was picturing you shivering in some icy windowed shack.

Sorry. Just finished reading silas marner.

SarryB Sun 21-Oct-12 19:21:38

I think my mum said that she pulls the blanket up to her chin, and baby goes on top of the blanket in it's own sleeping bag.

bigkidsdidit Sun 21-Oct-12 19:23:26

Was going to say that <points up>

Put duvet up to your chin and lie the baby on top of it next to you

Toddler bed dovet for over your shoulders/back.

PenelopeChipShop Sun 21-Oct-12 19:26:09

I've just bought new fleecy pjs for the same reason! I think more layers - but with boob access obvs - is the only answer really as I don't dare have the duvet higher than my waist either. My ds does help keep me warm a bit though too...

bonbonpixie Sun 21-Oct-12 21:29:49

I put DD next to me and up at pillow level (with no pillow there) and bring duvet up. Essentially I make sure DD legs and feet and in line with my head.

We have a pretty massive bed so I can switch sides throughout the night and feed lying down. DH reports that all of this doesn't wake him up or disturb him at all...envy

SquidgersMummy Mon 22-Oct-12 10:19:34

Thanks all - will try a few new positions with the quilt and DD. Much appreciated. Had a warmer night with DD higher up in the bed smile.

X

poocatcherchampion Sun 28-Oct-12 21:25:22

Dressing gown on top? Boob holes are hysterical- but amazing!,

How old is the baby?

We still cosleep at 2.3 and I have only ever once unknowingly placed DD in danger with her getting her face under the covers.

To begin with I wore a bra, a vest top back to front so boobs out easily but tummy warm, and a long sleeVe d top which could be pulled up or undone. Dduvet tucked under mattress to stop it being pulled up.

Then once able to roll and sit DD would sleep in her sleeping bag on top of the duvet. From about eighteen months though she has been under the duvet with us.

That said I won't co sleep when we have another

SquidgersMummy Sun 28-Oct-12 23:08:22

Duvet tucked under mattress is good idea - thanks

X

Penny2012 Sun 28-Oct-12 23:17:47

I wear cardigan with no buttons so it doesn't feel uncomfortable when I'm lying with it open. Still have duvet just push it lower down out of the way. I used to sleep downstairs which meant I could use fan heater on a thermostat.

cerealqueen Sun 28-Oct-12 23:23:26

OP, I have a fleecy short dressing gown - m&s do them, without the belt on and with the duvet on my bottom half, find I am warm enough.
I like the idea of the baby over the quilt but wonder how DD2 will get the access she needs as she liked to snuggle.

Penny2012 Wed 31-Oct-12 02:55:37

Oh and I quite forgot to say I use dream pod so that he doesn't need the quilt like I do do can go on top on the quilt xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now