Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

14 month old terrible sleeping habits

(10 Posts)
KayteeB12 Sun 21-Oct-12 00:39:53

hey everyone im new smile
my names Kaytee and im a 19 year old single mummy to little Kai.
Ive also posted this in the behaviour section but thought it might be more appropriate here?
my stories abit long but hope you can read it..
Kai was a great sleeper till 3 months when he developed colic and would scream all night long. The only way i could get him to sleep was to sleep with him in my bed. Fast forward 11 months and he's still here. I really want to get him into his own cot for his sake and mine. Another thing is that he now climbs out of his cot and goes with a thud to the floor sad
Secondly, this little monster is STILL on FOUR bottles a night, yes four at 14 months, WTH?!?! Ive worked out that its his way of soothing back to sleep because at 10 months he decided he didnt want a dummy anymore, to think i was happy about it!! He has to have one to go off with and then wakes up for another three between 11pm-7am. Ive tried switching it to water to make him not interested but he loses the plot untill he gets milk and i mean SERIOUSLY loses the plot, bangs his head off the walls and screams blue murder.
Finally, he can not settle himself to sleep AT ALL. I have to spend an hour rocking him to sleep everynight at 7.30pm so he'll actually go to sleep. In the night he's so used to be cuddled into me that if he isnt cuddled into me having a bottle he will not sleep and just scream and scream and scream
so sorry its so long and i know ive got him into some terrible habits but i really need to break them now before it really is too late (i hope it isnt already.) Any advice would be so much appriciated as its driving me round the bend as i go to college doing a business course and functioning on such little sleep is near enough impossible lol
thankyou xxx

lucylookout Sun 21-Oct-12 19:53:53

Hi Kaytee, I can't write for long now but didn't want to leave your thread unanswered. I don't have much advice as DS1 fed quite a lot at night until about 13 months and DS2, just over 3 months wakes up a lot to feed (I'm breast feeding). But, with DS1, when I wanted to stop him from waking so much for food, I just gradually started watering down the formula, rather than changing it to water overnight. i.e. in a 7oz feed, it was 6oz formula and 1oz water. After a couple of nights I changed it to 5oz formula and 2oz water etc, until at around 2 or 3oz formula, he didn't really bother waking up for it anymore. However, he was a lot older than yours and night waking/feeding is still very normal at this stage.
Hopefully someone a bit more useful will be along soon!

lucylookout Sun 21-Oct-12 19:54:28

SORRY! Realised he's 14 months not weeks. OK, maybe try what I outlined above?

KayteeB12 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:03:58

haha its okay hun i misread alot of the time aswell!
thankyou so much, i was going to start doing that but was worried it would upset his stomach. Really glad you say its okay to do so ill now start doing it :D xx

Iggly Sun 21-Oct-12 22:09:31

Are you sure he hasn't got reflux? Is he windy? Sicky baby when little? I just wondered if he was reacting to the formula...

KayteeB12 Sun 21-Oct-12 22:17:13

funnily enough he was the least sicky baby i know, he hardly ever threw up so when he did i always panic'ed like crazy lol. Im pretty sure it isnt refulx xx

lucylookout Sun 21-Oct-12 22:56:27

Kaytee, as for going to sleep, have you thought about 'gradual retreat'. I haven't tried it but there are several threads about it smile

KayteeB12 Mon 22-Oct-12 10:06:59

ohhh ive never heard of it hun
thankyou! ill have a look around about it xx

Iggly Mon 22-Oct-12 10:24:04

That's good to rule it out.

You can reduce night feeds by reducing the amount by an ounce every other night so he gets used to not having it over the space of a week and he might stop waking up of his own accord?

KayteeB12 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:06:00

im going start trying that from tonight hun :D xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now