Talk

Advanced search

Since becoming a mum have you slept with one eye open?

(12 Posts)
MrRected Thu 18-Oct-12 04:13:47

I realised from another thread today, that some new mums are lucky enough to sleep deeply and that they are woken by their baby crying for xx minutes.

I am one of the unlucky ones who, since becoming a mum 11 years ago (3DC), has slept with one eye open. Almost pre-empting the cries in the night, or if they are ill etc.

Do you sleep soundly or with one eye open? Does this ever go away? Will I ever sleep soundly again?

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Thu 18-Oct-12 04:25:39

I am a very light sleeper. I wake up to the slightest noise. Even my son coughing lightly. He is only 3 so it might change.

My hearing as got better as my eye sight as got worse grin

I do wake at the same time every morning though whether my son is home or not expecting to see him running in or shouting me.

TotallyEggFlipped Thu 18-Oct-12 04:27:55

I seem to magically wake up just before DD starts to cry. I don't know how it happens, but there's definitely a few moments of silence first. I can't get back to sleep until she's asleep either, even when DH is settling her.

MrRected Thu 18-Oct-12 04:35:52

That's weird. I was going to say that I somehow know when one of the kids is about to start crying but thought people would think I was a bit mad.

Glad to see it's not just me.

byhec Thu 18-Oct-12 04:40:16

I sleep far less soundly than I used to before the DC. DH, on the other hand, sleeps a lot deeper than before :-(

MrRected Thu 18-Oct-12 04:44:48

My DH has to literally be kicked awake if I need him to get up to the kids at night. He's deaf in one ear and if he lies on his good ear a bomb could go off next to him before he wakes.

To his credit though, when the children were tiny babies, he trained himself not to sleep on his good ear and did help out a night - a LOT!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 18-Oct-12 04:51:28

"He's deaf in one ear and if he lies on his good ear" that is me, but I still wake up at the slightest noise, and before the children are actually awake. They call me in their sleep too just to keep me on my toes!
Your DH is just being a DH, his deafness is no excuses believe me! I so wish it would help to be deaf in one ear, and stick the pillow right up the other, my DH is snoring at the moment, I might want to strangle him soon.

CarpeJugulum Thu 18-Oct-12 07:15:05

I do sleep with one eye open, and if DS is ill often with both eyes open and standing up... Oh no, wait, that's just being awake... Blame lack of sleep wink

aliciaflorrick Thu 18-Oct-12 07:19:58

My oldest DC is 10 now and I've always said I can wake up to the sound of their eyelids opening. I'm always awake just before they get up to go to the loo in the night and I stay awake until I hear them go back to bed and settle themselves back to sleep.

I'm obviously not getting a deep enough sleep though because I'm always knackered during the day.

MrRected Thu 18-Oct-12 10:43:19

One day we shall sleep ...

SquidgersMummy Sat 20-Oct-12 15:15:50

But perhaps not anytime soon......x

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sat 20-Oct-12 15:23:04

Same here. Used to sleep like the dead.

Now, I wake up when the children sleep talk or cough.
, or quietly fall out of bed grin I am permanently knackered and grumpy and the novelty has worn off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now