Talk

Advanced search

4 month old - sleeping nightmare!

(4 Posts)
newmummyrollercoaster Tue 16-Oct-12 19:59:14

Hi,

I'm new to Mumsnet (and posted this under the wrong topic in the first place - d'oh!) and in desperate need of some advice. My little boy is 19 weeks and for the past couple of weeks has massively regressed when it comes to sleeping. For the first few months he was a dream and we were feeling a bit smug that we had such a good baby who never cried and slept really well (he was waking once for a feed and that's it). But oh how times change! Firstly he had a major growth spurt then had a bad cold all of which has resulted in his sleep and feeding being all over the place. Last night we were up 12 times with him (3 feeds and the rest to settle him). It's the needing to settle him which is the worst and we don't know what to do about it? We are both absolutely exhausted.

I'm breastfeeding and since he was born, he's always fallen asleep after his 7pm feed so I've just transferred him straight to his cot. I think this is the problem - he's never had to learn to self soothe as I've never needed to put him to bed awake/sleepy. We've given him a dummy in the past few days which helps a bit with settling him but of course he cries when it falls out so this isn't great either.

I would really appreciate any advice on how we can settle him or teach him to self soothe... perhaps a cuddly toy in with him? Tight blankets rather than a grobag?

Thanks so much!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Tue 16-Oct-12 20:19:28

Sympathies. There us a massive developmental leap from 16-20 weeks. My DS barely slept at all during that time. I was at my wits end with it all, then it started improving slowly on its own at 22 weeks. He wakes once or twice now at just over six months. Hang in there! It does get bettersmile

artifarti Tue 16-Oct-12 20:41:08

4 month sleep regression. My DS2 was sleeping 10 hours at 6 weeks old. At 4 months it at all went tits up and we are just starting to get better now (30 weeks). As Seriously says, hang on in there (also it doesn't last a long time for everyone).

Seriouslysleepdeprived Wed 17-Oct-12 07:40:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now