Talk

Advanced search

10 months too early for 2-1 naps?

(11 Posts)
Madallie Tue 16-Oct-12 11:55:19

Just wanted to know your thoughts, opinions, experiences on this.

DD was (mostly) sleeping 6.45pm- between 6.15 and 6.30am. She took am nap of about 1hr 15mins and about the same in pm (sometimes longer/shorter).

Anyone about 3-4 weeks ago she started really resisting pm nao (taking 30mins - 1hr to go down). THat lasted 2.3 weeks. That seems to have gone now but is replaced by EW at 5.30am.

Just wondering if this is a sign of schedule change? Should I think about putting her to 1 nap.

I know people say that na early am nap can fuel EW but this is not he case for us.

Today she woke at 5.30am and still wasn't showing signs of tiredness at 9.45am. I did put her down at 10am and she went to sleep but she didn't seem tired really.

Am thinking if she woke at 7 this would be like her not needing a nap until 11/11.30am.

Anyway sorry for long post. Just want to hear what others think about going to 1 nap.

Madallie Tue 16-Oct-12 18:00:54

Just bumping this in case any people looking in the evening have any experience or ideas!

GodisaDJ Tue 16-Oct-12 18:10:10

Only because you haven't had any replies (and I did read it this morning) I'm replying. I personally think you're looking to much in to a 'routine' for a 10 month old.

If its taking 1-2 hours to get your child to sleep, they're clearly not tired at that particular time, OR perhaps was over tired by the time they went down for a nap.

Have you got sleepy cues that you look for? Or do you prefer to put your child to bed at a strict time?

I'm not one for routines etc so I would go by your child's lead, rather than training them to sleep at certain times.

Waking up early, ie 5.30am can be 'normal' for some children, just like some babies sleeping through at 6 weeks. Every baby is different and no one routine or book will program your baby to do what you want him to do.

Madallie Tue 16-Oct-12 18:18:22

Thanks for your reply GodisaDJ.

I peronally don't think I am looking too much into a routine considering a routine was the best thing that happened to my dd and actually helped her sleep (day or night).

I'm not interested in what exact time she goes down (although having similar times each day has greatly helped her settle), it's just if I just leave her to nap whenever, she may well be having a nap at 4pm and then not going to bed until very late.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else had experience of this as I had heard that sudden early waking could mean possibly baby may need only 1 nap. I am not try to enforce anything on her and not going to just follow what someone or some book says, it's just nice to share/hear experiences of others.

I have noted your opinions though.

GodisaDJ Tue 16-Oct-12 18:32:09

Sorry if my post come across sharp- it wasn't my intention smile I just wanted to get across that your dd is still only 10 months and for her to have slept through previously to now and start waking early is bloody good going compared to some parents on here grin

Could the sudden waking be because of her teeth?

It may well be she's napping 'too' much but, I think to have 3 hours sleep over 2 naps sounds about right for a 10 month old.

From around 6 months to 2 years they have various growth spurts and mile stones reached (like crawling, standing walking, talking etc) - these things are far more exciting than sleep! Hence, they wake up. Google sleep regression and a few blogs/info will come up which may help.

BlingLoving Tue 16-Oct-12 18:35:22

Ds moved to one nap at around 10 months. It would be fairly early - say 10:00 /10:30 depending on what time he woke up so he would have a lo g time awake before bed at 7 but that's what he seemed happiest on.

minicc Tue 16-Oct-12 19:11:59

Having the same sort of issue here- may go against my mantra of 'never wake a sleeping baby' and shorten her am nap to 30mins. Might have to give her lunch a bit earlier than present but it might encourage her to have a longer sleep in pm. Or, I might just ignore it and hope it sorts itself out! grin

OhWhatAPalaver Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:03

my 9 mo DD has just started having one long nap around lunch time lately. i was wondering if she isn't getting enough day time sleep but she doesn't seem overtired or anything so we're just going with the flow. she gets wingey around 10am and so i bf her but then she just has a little doze on the boob and then she's wide awake again. then sometime between 11.30 and 1.30 she will be tired and she'll have a couple of hours nap time.

i would say if she doesn't seem that tired and it's not really affecting things, just go with it.

Iggly Wed 17-Oct-12 07:13:44

Just because she doesn't look tired, it doesn't mean she isn't tired (as demonstrated by her sleeping).

Around 9 months, babies' sleep patterns do change. Instead of napping by watching tired signs, you should nap at specific times as its better suited to their body clocks.

As for the EW - that's not just linked to day sleep (in fact overtiredness is more likely), it's also linked to developmental leaps, teething, growth spurts (have you tried feeding and putting back down). Or it could be something as simple as getting cold or being woken by the heating or something.

Madallie Wed 17-Oct-12 08:15:57

Thanks for replies.

Thanks Iggly. I have been trying to keep a close eye in OT and I really don't think this is it for EW.

DD was having 2 naps one around 9.45am and one around 2pm. Naps were anput 2.5hs in total. I kept to this which was all going well for a fair while. Then she started to fight naps (I tried moving these very slowly in 10mins increments) and it made no difference. She was sometimes taking an hour to settle.
In the morning she just seems to wake after 10.5/10.5hrs now rather than 11.5hrs and has about 30mins less naps per day. I just worry she's not getting enough sleep and whether the one nap routine would help her more. I don't rush into hear when she wakes from day or night sleep. I fact she's happy lay 'chatting for half an hour or more when she wakes in the morning so has plenty of opportunity to go back to sleep.

Could it be her sleep needs have just depleted over the last few weeks?

Although I definitely take on board what you're saying about developmental leaps, teething, growth spurts etc.

Scared to try one nap though in case it all goes horribly wrong!

Iggly Wed 17-Oct-12 09:18:16

I'd try napping at set times first. My dd is 10 months and I sense they're going a bit haywire but it feels like she's fighting sleep even though she is tired. She is trying to walk and babbles a lot and is very frustrated with life at the moment! I remember my DS doing similar but he had shorter naps so just dropped the third cat nap.

So maybe a morning one of 30-45 mins around 9am then a post lunch one which is a bit longer around 1pm (I got the times from a book written by a paediatrician who suggests these are natural "dip" times). Maybe the morning one could be "on the go" eg go for a walk in the pushchair?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now