Talk

Advanced search

8 month old won't settle now he's crawling!

(3 Posts)
ScottLass Mon 15-Oct-12 13:49:38

DS is 8 months and has previously self-settled himself to sleep for his naps (a shorter one in the morning then a longer one in the afternoon). He's been doing this without a problem for the last few months (I know I'm lucky going by some of the threads on here!).

However, since starting crawling he just won't self settle. I put him down as usual, and he is so restless - up on all fours to crawl, tossing and turning, throwing his dummy on the floor. This goes on for some time and I usually give in and take him out in the pram or car (after about 40 minutes of him playing), or we need to be somewhere so we go out and he sleeps on the way. A couple of times he has eventually self settled, only to wake 15/30 minutes after - I guess because he is so over-tired by the time he falls asleep. He is also an early waker so I feel we are constantly fighting over-tiredness.

I don't know what to do, because the less he sleeps during the day, the worse his night sleep is, and it's just a vicious circle! Anyone else have experience of this and what did you do to help them to sleep?? Much appreciated!

AnyaKnowIt Mon 15-Oct-12 13:54:21

Have you tried dropping one of the naps? Drop the morning one and bring the afternoon one forward a bit?

<bad mother alert>

I kept throwing a ball up and down the hallway and getting dd to chase it. blush, it wore her out a treat

ScottLass Mon 15-Oct-12 14:34:41

Thanks for replying Anya. I did consider dropping a nap but he is absolutely exhausted - he is showing all the signs of tiredness but I put him down and he starts playing, and by the time he is asleep he only sleeps a short time, and is screaming (usually he would wake happily). It just feels to me that the problem is that he is over-tired and that is why he isn't managing to get to sleep, but I could be wrong. He's totally worn out - took him out to a group this morning and he was rubbing his eyes at lunch, then put him down and he started playing sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now