Talk

Advanced search

5AM waking up ready to go - help

(12 Posts)
catgirl1976 Sat 13-Oct-12 06:28:36

DS is 11 months. He wakes every morning at 5am and has done so for the last couple of weeks. I work FT and am shattered. I hadn't even thought about the clocks going back till I came on this board

Is there anything I can do? I can't keep getting up at 5am (or 4am soon) and then going to work all day sad

Help........please <desparate>

Twinkleinmyeye Sat 13-Oct-12 08:58:59

Groclock? He's too little really, but you could introduce it now and it might help over the coming months. What time is his bedtime?

Twinkleinmyeye Sat 13-Oct-12 09:00:09

Also, you are not alone. DS1 is getting up at 5:30am every day groclock doesn't work for him.

showtunesgirl Sat 13-Oct-12 11:30:06

I believe it's been said on here by many people that early waking is usually due to the first nap of the day being too early? What time is his first nap?

catgirl1976 Sat 13-Oct-12 11:49:44

His first nap is about 09:30 - he ususally sleeps for an hour to an hour an a half.
His afternoon nap is about 14:30 / 15:00 and he ususally does an hour

He goes to bed at 19:30

Does the morning nap sound too early?

showtunesgirl Sat 13-Oct-12 18:27:59

Ooh if anything, I'm wondering if it's too late! So he's up for about 4 1/2 hours before his first nap? My DD is 11 months next week and she is down for her first nap 3 hours after she's got up. And she needs to have four hours clear before bedtime otherwise she's not tired enough.

catgirl1976 Sat 13-Oct-12 18:50:45

He was on a three hour cycle as he was waking at 6:30 (perfect) for a while and going down at 9:30 but I'm loathe to move the nap to fit his new earlier waking time IYSWIM as I dont want him to get used to it

But if you think it would help........?

Madallie Sat 13-Oct-12 19:10:44

catgirl1976 I'm having same issues with dd (10mo). She was sleeping from about 6.45pmish until at between 6 and 7am, notw this is becoming more like 5.30pm (and I'm worried that'll be 4.30 too soon!).

Her scedule sounds similar to your ds - first nap 9.30/9.45am (always fine when woke later), she naps for about an hr or hr 15mins, then second nap about 3 hours later (about 2ish) for between 1 hrs and 1hr 30mins!

Don't know where the early waking has come from at all! I have tried moving her bt back (very slowly - just in 10-15min increments) but anytime she falls asleep after 7pm, she's awake before 6. If she falls asleep before 7pm she usually (don't want to jinx it) will sleep until at least 6. No ideas why!

This doesn't help solve the problem for when clocks go back if I can even move her bt gradually!!

You're not alone!

P.S - IMHO I don't think bringing am nap earlier will help. I'm not doing it becuae I think it'll just reinforce EW. Plus I'm hoping this is a phase and want to still have a reasonable routine in place when she (hopefully) comes out the other side of this!

catgirl1976 Sat 13-Oct-12 19:26:38

It;s nice to know I am not alone!

Finger crossed for us both its a short phase and they both go back to a civilised time.

I have invested in a coffee maker that does a jug of filter and keeps it warm for 2 hours. I reccomend it............ smile

Madallie Sat 13-Oct-12 19:31:27

Mmmmm sounds good. Caffeine is good!

catgirl1976 Sat 13-Oct-12 19:36:03

It wasn't an expensive one, but it is my purchase of the year grin

HorridHeffalumpsWickedWoozles Sat 13-Oct-12 20:12:38

Oh OP I feel your pain, DD1 did this for quite a while, the answer for us was to bring her into our bed and put cbeebies on...maybe not the ideal solution for everyone but it meant we got lots of cuddles and on a (very) good day an extra hour dozing in bed before having to get up and actually function.

Hope you find a solution soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now