Talk

Advanced search

18 month old wakes in night and needs help to settle

(4 Posts)
MrsJLS85 Fri 12-Oct-12 13:46:42

I have an 18 month old DD who lately has been waking 3-4 times in the night, and the only thing that gets her back to sleep is for I or DH to rub her back for 10-15 minutes. If we leave before she falls back asleep she will scream. Its exhausting and I need some help, especially because I'm 7 weeks pregnant and can't be getting up every few hours in the night. We have tried leaving her to cry which doesn't work at all, she just gets more hysterical. The times she wakes are also different every night, so we know its not a specific pattern. Any advice??

DrSeuss Sat 13-Oct-12 13:13:24

I'd wake and refuse to go back to sleep too if someone would come and give me a backrub! Sit on the floor, near the cot, not moving, head bowed, not speaking, having first laid her down. She can see you and get comfort from your being their but not interact. She will scream blue murder at first but bear with it. If she stands up, lay her down and put the covers on, not speaking or making eye contact. Touch her as little as possible. Over time, move further from the cot till you're by the door. May take a few days to a week but it will work.

SirBoobAlot Sat 13-Oct-12 13:19:08

Gradually move from patting her till she falls asleep, to doing it till she's half asleep and then holding her hand, then just holding her hand. My friend did this, it took a few weeks, but it meant none of them got too stressed out with it.

MrsJLS85 Mon 15-Oct-12 11:38:07

Thank you for your suggestions. Last night we tried the first night of not rubbing her back. We would just lay her down, tuck her in and then stand by the door or leave the room. She cried at first, but then it didn't take too long for her to settle so already we're seeing an improvement!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now