Talk

Advanced search

Naps for 8mo old

(6 Posts)
minesapintofwine Thu 11-Oct-12 14:11:11

Not sure if I'm posting in right topic as it's to do with daytime sleep (but last night's sleep was pretty crap too!). My dts are 8 mo old and have two naps a day they wake at 6.30 so am nap is 9.30-11 religiously, which is great! In the pm, if we are home they sleep one hour exactly no matter what time I put them down, which is fine. I'm not sure what time to put them down in the pm though. By 1 they are usually yawning etc so they have been going for a nap and sleeping until 2 with no issues. The problem is they will not sleep again no matter what and dt1 is horrible by bedtime (which then becomes a bit earlier at about 6.30). Today I tried a bit later to see if he's better tonight. Was aiming for 2pm but ended up being 1.30 as they were so grumpy. My dilemma is this? Should I be putting them down earlier but having a whingy evening. Or put them down later and have a whingy lunchtime? It's a no-win situation!

(I realise this isn't much of a problem but would appreciate any suggestions as I'm a bit baffled!)

Nevercan Thu 11-Oct-12 17:55:56

Could you push the morning one half an hour later ?

minesapintofwine Thu 11-Oct-12 21:06:08

I have tried that but they always wake at 11 not sure why!

HollyHopDrive Thu 11-Oct-12 22:14:08

My 9mo DS2 lasts about 3 hours between naps, though I am thinking of making the morning nap a bit earlier as sometimes he can sleep for 2 hours. If he wakes at 11 I try to get him in his cot for 1.45pm to fall asleep at 2pm then see how long he sleeps for and have him in bed 2h45m after he woke up.

if they're up at 6.30 in the am a 6.30 bedtime sounds about right, I work off a 12 hour day and 12 hour night, if he doesn't get enough sleep at night he makes up during the day.

minesapintofwine Fri 12-Oct-12 10:32:29

holly how long does your ds sleep in the pm? I think I'm going to keep trying for a 2pm nap though it's still 3 1/2hours of awake time until bedtime they are usually ok. Dt1 is grumpy straight after his pm nap so I assume he's not getting enough sleep but have worked hard for so long to extend naps and in the end he just did it naturally so hoping he will with the pm one too. I can work with a 6.30 bedtime any earlier and we're up at 5.30! Thanks for the tips both

HollyHopDrive Fri 12-Oct-12 22:30:16

Hi pintofwine, have only just seen this.

It really varies, but he can often do up to two hours and depends how long the morning nap is. He seems to like 3-4 hours worth of naps but his nighttime sleep is terrible so needs to make up for it! If I go out he will not sleep in the pram until he's shattered so it ruins his entire routine and makes him late for bed.

Could twin1 be teething and making him grumpy? DS2 is whingier in the evenings and we thought his teeth were bothering him by then but when we give him a drink of light squash or his dinner he's ok.

I think for this age a total of 3 hours worth of naps and 11 of sleep is a rough guide, all are different though, so tricky! DS1 used to have 2 1.5hr naps, he was pretty regular in that respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now