Talk

Advanced search

6wo takes one huge sleep in the daytime - normal?

(2 Posts)
Purplelooby Sun 07-Oct-12 16:29:24

I'm quite worried about the pattern my 6wo is getting into...

He's great at night (goes down after 10 pm bottle, wakes for bottle around 2/3 am and then sleep until around 6 am). However his daytime is just wierd. Basically, rather than napping, he takes a huge (around 6-8 hr) sleep in the daytime, waking only for a feed. It's like he has two nighttimes. I'm worried because a) I heard newborns take short naps in the daytime and b) he only gets 2 activity sessions in the daytime and these aren't very long before he gets cranky. His total amount of sleep is perfect (about 16-18 hrs) and he is very alert when awake, but because his awake time can be up to 3 hours he gets quite grumpy.

Last week I tried to do Eat, Activity, Sleep, but when I tried to keep him awake after feeds when he normally sleeps, he was sooooo shattered and got over-tired and then by the end of the week was refusing to sleep at all!

Should I be worried? Any advice on how to break his daytime sleep into naps? If I wake him during this sleep he just cries...

HearMyRoar Sun 07-Oct-12 18:44:48

At 6 weeks I'm pretty sure just about anything your DC wants to do is normal. I would go with it for now. It will all change soon enough have no fear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now