Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2,3,4 naps

(5 Posts)
Suchanamateur Fri 05-Oct-12 09:20:27

Is anyone/ has anyone been on this schedule? If so, what kind of age??

DD is 7.5 mo and I've been struggling with naps and bedtime for a while. She's a very even tempered baby which is great (especially with a manic older brother) but has next to no sleepy signs.

We're currently on 3 naps - two lots of around an hour and then a short catnap, aiming for about 2.5 hrs before bedtime. But DD takes ages to then get to sleep - anything up to 1.5hrs. She does so pretty happily- rolling around or just lying with her thumb in her mouth until she eventually sleeps. But it drives me nuts and makes for rather a short night for her.

She can't handle too long awake before her first 2 naps so I'm wondering if she should be aiming for 2-3-4 and dropping the catnap? Or is she too young? She'll end up with 2 hrs or so only of day sleep if i do that and I'm worried about making her nights worse...

Where is the damn baby manual?

scampidoodle Fri 05-Oct-12 13:57:19

Hi, do you mean 2, 3 then 4 hours awake between sleeps? If so, that's exactly what my DS did from 8.5 - 18 months. He would have 1 hour after breakfast then 2-3 after lunch and be in bed at 7pm (sometimes after only 2.5 - 3 hours awake). He definitely seemed to be one of those babies who slept better the more sleep he got, so I think we were lucky! Good luck - hope you can sort it out.

Suchanamateur Fri 05-Oct-12 14:13:57

Exactly what I mean. envy at your 2-3 hour naps, especially after our recent 30 minute job which took me 30 minutes to get!

omama Fri 05-Oct-12 21:14:14

sounds like she needs to drop her catnap. It typically happens anywhere between 6-9 months, so she is bang on the right sort of age to manage without it. You might find she needs a slightly earlier bedtime when you first drop that catnap, its big jump from 2.5 hrs before bed to 4hrs. Once she gets used to having just 2 naps you should be able to gradually push bedtime back out again.

HTH.x

Suchanamateur Sun 07-Oct-12 17:56:24

Thanks! When she doesn't do a crazy early wake up, we're going to shoot for 2 naps and see how it goes. The 2.5-4 hr leap might not actually be that big, given she's usually awake for at least an hour after bedtime (albeit in a dark and silent room..)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now