Talk

Advanced search

19 mth old waking 6-7 times per night and it's dragging me down

(5 Posts)
littlepinkfizz Thu 04-Oct-12 10:30:37

My 19 mth old has never yet slept an entire night without us going in to him. He wakes,cries and we straighten him out in the cot and he goes back to sleep. Simple enough... But not when as recently it's happening 6-7 times per night and really disrupting our sleep. Last night was terrible. At least 10 times.

There does not appear to be anything annoying him, no pain or hunger.

What should we do for the best as it is really affecti g our moods sad

fififrog Thu 04-Oct-12 20:09:14

Sorry you're having such bad sleep, it's not fun. It might just be that you need now to train him to deal with going back to sleep on his own. If you don't want to do CC I suggest you look at gradual withdrawal. There is a huge thread on here called "what worked for us" that explains in detail. You can vary the speed of the withdrawal to suit your situation. My DD is a similar age and wakes often in the night and she seems to involuntarily cry out quite often, but she goes straight back to sleep without us having to do anything 90% of the time.

Iggly Thu 04-Oct-12 20:25:50

How quickly do you to through to him?

With ds I started turning the monitor down so I only heard him if he was really upset. We started sleeping better as didn't leap up for cries, most of which were in his sleep and he was resettling himself.

You could also try sleeping in his room for a few nights - again something we've done and still do (have a mattress next to his bed). Means we could pat him and he'd drift off and we wouldn't have to fully get up. After a while we didn't need to stay in at all.

Finally is he teething? DS's molars were a nightmare at that age. Calprofen helped hugely as he'd seem fine in the day, but as at night he had little distractions from it, he would wake. So some pain relief would help him sleep 6-8 hours at a stretch.

MrsTMD Sun 07-Oct-12 23:38:23

My ds is 18 months and is exactly the same.unfortunately no advice to give but just wanted to say u r not on your own.xox

littlepinkfizz Mon 08-Oct-12 11:59:36

Have tried switching monitor off last two nights and I think he may be a little better. Hoping he will learn to settle himself again gradually . Thanks for the replies. Haven't been on the boards for a wee while.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now